Changing my mind. - Lauren & Robert.

"What do you expect me to say?" She said. "I've told you my opinion already." 

Victorias black hair swooshed back and forth as she shook her head at me, trying to balance the dishes she had in her hand and try to do her locker combination. I reached out taking them out of her hands. "What if he's changed? It's been two months since he broke up with that other girl and has been talking to me increasingly..."

"It's impossible for someone to change that fast. It takes time and effort to be different. Neither of those things have I yet to see out of Robert." She said clicking the lock open and removing it. 

She was right. Victoria was always right. I leaned back against the lockers biting my lip and thinking. It had been two months since he broke up with the other girl. He had even asked me to help him when he thought he was going to cry. Everyday he's talked to me... 

Fingers snapped in front of me and I blinked looking up from the floor. Robert stood in front of me rather close. "Did you hear me?" He asked. "Uh... No..." He laughed. "Can I walk you to class?" I looked down at my hands, puzzled. Where had Victoria gone?

"Sure?" I said more like a question then a statement. He smiled. "Cool, lets go." I pushed off the locker and we started walking. "So how's life?" He asked. "Getting along with your mom better?" He asked. "I am actually. We haven't fought all week. Last weekend." I said. He nodded listening. "It's just ever since that one fight we had where I said those things to her and we had that awkward hugging moment you know?" I asked. "Yea." he said. "Well we've been really good since then." 

"Well thats good." He said. I couldn't tell if he was bored or not. He seemed to be listening, you could never tell with him though. "But how about you?" I asked. He looked up. "Well... I'm dealing..." I nodded understanding. "Has she talked to you since... You know..." He shook his head. "Nope I've sent her a couple messages but she never replies." I crossed my arms, jealous of the look in his eyes when he talks about her.

"I just... I miss her so much..." He said his voice catching in the last part. "But you, you help me so much... I mean your always there for me. Plus I love how your not expecting a relationship or anything like that." My eyes widened and my breath caught in my throat. How could he not know? I make it so obvious sometimes! 

Anger rushed through me. And all at once the flood gates in my head that had been holding the truth back and everything made perfect sense. Robert had never liked me. Never. He hadn't changed. He had gotten worse.

I found myself changing my mind. On everything. Me liking him, me helping him, me being more then a friend to him. I didn't want it. None of it.He was still talking, thinking I was still listening. In one quick movement. I turned on my heal and headed in the opposite direction of him. He called out. But he didn't follow.

I smiled to myself knowing I made the right decision.