As We Go

Max drove Irene and Jack to the hospital as Irene gently rubbed her father's back. He moaned, "I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?"
"No, I'm just stressed and that makes it worse," Jack replied.
"It's going to be okay, Daddy," Irene whispered in his ear.
He cries quietly not wanting Max to see him weak. Irene had rarely seen her father cry and she hated when he did. They arrived at the hospital and went to the waiting room where they waited anxiously for some news on Jackie's condition.
The doctor came out of the back room as Irene squeezed Jack's hand. She stood up and then helped her father up from his chair. "Doctor," Irene said quietly, "How's my mom?"
"I'm sorry, Irene," the doctor said because he knew Irene, "But she has bleeding in the brain. She won't make it through the night."
      Irene cupped her hand over her mouth and sobbed uncontrollably. "Daddy, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Mackey."

      The moment that Jackie breathed her last breath all of her children were with her, Caroline, John, and Irene. Irene grabbed her mother's hand and kissed it, "Mama, I'll take care of Daddy, Caroline, and John. It's okay to go, but we'll never forget about you as we go along without you."