Wonderful

Marty called just before they left for lunch and said he wouldn't make it over to check on Bridget until the evening because something had come up at work. After Irene hung up the phone, they climbed into Irene's car and drove to meet John. John was already sitting at a table when they got inside. Irene smiled, "This is Bridget."
      "How do you do?" John asked standing and pulling her chair out for her.
      "Very well, thank you."
      They sat down and ordered their meals, "Well, how do you know this lovely lady?" John asked Irene.
     "I'm her boyfriend's daughter." Irene blushed at Bridget's response.
     "Irene, does Dad know?"
     "No, keep you mouth shut, John."
     Just then Irene felt a hand on her shoulder, "What is John keeping his mouth shut about, Irene?"
      "Damn it."
      John, Jack, and Bridget laughed until they were crying, "So what was John supposed to be keeping his mouth shut about?"
"This is Bridget, Dad. She's my friend's daughter."
"They're a couple," Bridget said, "He has talked about her for years."
"Years?" Jack asked.
"We met when Uncle Bobby was shot."
"Oh. Well then, why don't you bring your gentleman and his lovely daughter over for dinner tonight?"
Irene blushed, "Shall I bring anything?" she sighed.
     "No, kiddo," Jack laughed kissing her cheek, "I'll see you tonight."
     After Jack left, their meals came. Later, while Irene was making a dessert and Bridget was napping, Max and Louis arrived. They had finally gotten themselves moved out of college. "Hey, kids!" she hugged them, "We have a guest. Her name is Bridget and she's-"
     "My daughter," Marty finished walking in behind the twins.
     "I'm Max," Max said flashing the charming Kennedy smile while shaking Marty's hand.
     "Marty, how do ya do?"
     "Well, thank you."
      "I'm Louis," Louis shook Marty's hand as well.
      "It's my pleasure, Louis."

       That night for dinner, everyone got to know Bridget and Marty. Jack approved of the Irishman and John had taken a special liking to Bridget.
       It was September and Irene, Katie, Josie, and Jackie were hosting a baby shower for Bridget. Irene was standing on a chair hanging streamers and Marty was standing behind her, "Be careful, darlin'."
      "I am," Irene smiled intently focused on making the streamers perfect,
      When Irene climbed down, Marty grabbed her hand. He pulled her in closer to him and put his hands on her hips, "Come on. I need to have a word with ya outside."
      They stood outside for a moment and Marty sighed, "Irene, I've fallen in love with you again. Will you do me the pleasure and marry me?"
      Irene felt tears escaping her eyes. She couldn't find words so she only nodded as she hugged Marty tightly.
      Just then Bridget stepped outside. "Dad! Mom! Guests are arriving!"
     When Irene heard Bridget call her mom, she began to cry again, "What's wrong?" Bridget asked.
     "Nothing. She's good. Actually, she's wonderful," Marty replied holding Irene in his arms.