Awe

It was early in the morning and Irene sat next to a very nervous Marty as they waited. "Marty, when do you want to tell people about our engagement?"
    "As soon as possible," he said patting her hand, "I love you."
    "Love you too," Irene said leaning her head on his shoulder.
    "I'm worried about her."
    "I know, but she will be okay."
     Marty kissed Irene's cheek, "So is this kid going to call you Grandma or Aunt Irene?"
     "I hadn't thought about that," Irene laughed a little, "I suppose grandma since you'll be grandpa and we'll be married."
    "That sounds good to me."
    Just as Marty squeezed Irene's hand, John emerged from the delivery room donning blue scrubs, "Irene. Marty," he whispered, "There's someone that would like to meet you."
      John then placed a tiny baby girl in Marty's arms, "Congratulations," Marty said quietly looking up at John.
     "She's precious. What's her name?" Irene asked peering over Marty's shoulder at the baby.
      "Sierra Mary Kennedy," John replied looking at the tiny baby with affection.
     "You've got your daddy wrapped around your little finger already, sweetie. Yes, you do!" Irene said in a quiet voice.
      "She had me the first second I held her in my arms."
      "How's ma Bridget?" Marty asked looking up.
     "She's good. You guys can see her in a few minutes."
      "Here, Irene. Sierra, this is your grandma."
     "Hi, kiddo," Irene cooed taking Sierra into her arms, "I'm your grandma, but you can call me Mimi."
     A few minutes later, they went into Bridget's room, "You look good, kid," Irene said still holding Sierra.
     "I feel like I just went through combat."
     "I know what you mean, but you hide it well. Do you want to hold your daughter?"
     "Yes please."
     The four of them then sat quietly all in awe of Sierra.