We'll Meet Again

"Irene! Are ya hurt?"
"No. At least I think I'm alright."
"You're bleeding," he said handing her a handkerchief.
"I ought to just buy you a value pack of these things," she smiled as she dabbed at the blood tricking from her forehead, "How are you, Marty?"
"Better than you right now, it appears."
Marty waited with her until the police arrived and after she was checked out by the paramedics, he offered to drive her home. "Why didn't ya call?"
"I don't know. I should've. So did you remarry?"
"No. What about yerself?"
"Nope, but I'm a grandma now!"
"Irene, why don't we try this again."
"I don't know, Marty."
     "Irene, I liked ya a hell of a lot back then and maybe now that our kids are grown... Maybe we could be happy."
     "Alright, Marty, you've got me. When would you like to go out?"
    "How about tomorrow? I'll pick you up."
    "Say around 5:00?"
    "Sure, what kind of cuisine would you prefer tomorrow?"
   "I'll eat anything."
    "Then I'll surprise you."
    The car pulled up to Irene's house and she dug in her purse for her keys, "Thank you, Marty. I'll see you tomorrow."
     Irene walked up to her home. It had been Rose and Joe's home, but Joe had left it to Irene after both he was gone and Rose was living with Bobby. Irene unlocked the door and walked inside. The house brought back bittersweet memories, but she still loved it.
    That night Irene went to be and dreamt of something that she hadn't for a long time.
It was November 22, 1963. Irene sat in the waiting room of Parkland hospital. The doctor came out and took her to see Tom. As she sat next to his bedside, a ghostly Tom appeared in front of her, "Be happy, Ire. That's all I ask of you. We'll meet again someday."