Grandma

"I have to go check on Louis," Irene said standing up. Jackie nodded knowing that what Irene really needed was a few minutes to herself.
      Irene climbed the stairs slowly and went into the room that she and Tom had shared during the first month of their marriage some twenty years ago. She closed the door and knelt down. She began to pray, "Oh, Tom. I'm so sorry. I tried. I swear I tried. They're good kids. I don't know how this happened. I'm so sorry," she whispered beginning to sob. The door creaked open and then clicked shut again. Irene didn't have to look; she knew Max was behind her. He sat down on the floor next to her and gently pulled his mother into his arms to hug her. She began to cry harder and harder into his chest until she was sure she had soaked his shirt.
      They sat in her room for awhile until Katie walked in, "Mom, I'm going to-"
     Irene patted Max's arm and nodded as he stood up.
    "I'm sorry, Mom. I screwed up."
    "I'm not mad anymore. I'm hurt, scared, and worried."
    "Why?"
    "Katie, when have I ever made you feel like you can't tell me something?"
    "Never really."
    "Then why didn't you?"
    "I was being dumb."
    "Katie, you're not going to be able to finish college. You do realize that?"
    "No, I did finish. I took all the credits I needed to. I got my Associate's degree."
    Irene hugged her, "I love you," she placed her hand on Katie's stomach, "I guess I'm going to be a grandma."