Fear

The day went by quickly and soon Marty and Irene found themselves curled up by the fireplace falling asleep.
"Marty," Irene whispered tracing circles on his chest.
"Yes?" he said quietly.
"Mackey's running for governor and I'm going to help him campaign."
      "Good for him. I trust you'll be able to handle it?"
      "I'll be good," she sighed.
      "You don't sound good, darlin'."
      "Some things you just never forget. You know?" she whispered as she sat up and looked into Marty's eyes, "I'll never forget the look in Tom's eyes when..." she couldn't finish.
       Even though Tom had died so long ago, Irene couldn't talk about him. She especially couldn't talk about the assassination. When November 22 rolled around, Irene wouldn't leave the house in fear that reporters would hound her about her husband's death.
     "Irene, you can't hold him back. That kid never met his father and he feels the way to make him proud is to be like him. You gotta let him do it."
     "I can't lose another son," Irene cried.
     "I know," Marty said quietly running his hand through her hair as he gazed at the lights of the Christmas tree, "You can't live in fear."

     Campaigning began in March. Irene followed Mackey everywhere and kept a protective eye on him at all times. When they were in Boston, Irene dressed in a green dress while Mackey wore a suit, "Mom, are you ready?"
      "For what? Your speech isn't for another hour."
      "There's a parade first."
      Irene gulped, "No. No parade. I will never be in a parade or a motorcade again."
      "Mom, come on. The people want to see you and me."
     "Mackey..."
     "Mom, you can't be afraid forever. It'll be fine. Let go."
     Max grabbed her hand and let her to the car. Irene felt uneasy and was very hesitant. He dragged her into the car and held her hand, "Mom, you're fine."
    And with that, the car entered the streets where there were crowds of screaming and cheering people that reminded Irene too much of that day in Dallas.