Always

"I don't know, Irene."
      Irene felt Marty's chest shaking. When she looked up at him, she saw he was crying too. Just then, Jack and Jackie came into the hospital, "Where's Louis? Is he doing alright?" Jack asked. He stopped short and then mumbled, "No! It can't be."
     Jack came over to Irene's side and hugged her while Marty tried to compose himself. "I'm so sorry, Irene," Jack cried.
     "Dad, why did God take my husband and my son from me? Why?"
     "I don't know."
     Marty and Jackie comforted each other and Max.
     "Mackey, come here," Irene said reaching for him. He came to his mother's side and they embraced.
    The rest of the evening was a blur for the family. At some point they ended up back at Irene's and stayed there together for the whole day. Everyone was numb. Louis' death has been unexpected. Yes, Louis was sickly all of his life, but for him to die at only twenty-two?

     When Marty was about to leave, the evening after Louis' death, Irene stopped him, "Marty, I can't be alone right now."
     "You'll never be alone if I'm around, Irene."
    "I love you, Marty," Irene said beginning to cry again.
    He held her close, "I love you too, Irene."
    She was weak from not eating anything all day and from crying. Marty nearly had to carry her to her bedroom. She sat down on her bed and kicked of her shoes. She was already wearing sweats so she wasn't changing. "Marty, hold me."
     They laid down together and Irene snuggled into Marty's side. The rise and fall of his chest was soothing to her and eventually she fell asleep.

     The next morning the family flew to Washington D.C.  Louis was going to be buried next to Tom at Arlington. That evening, Irene snuck out of their hotel and went to Arlington. It was foggy and nearly pitch black; she carried a flashlight. She knelt by Tom's resting place after finding it, "Tom, take care of our baby," she whimpered beginning to cry, "Tom, I want you to know that I will always love you. Are you alright with Marty and I getting married? He's a good guy, Tom. He's not as wonderful as you, but he's a good guy. He'll take care of me-" Irene stopped. A strong wind whipped through her hair blowing an object toward her. She caught it and saw it was a handkerchief. It reminded her of the first time she had met Marty. "Tom, I think that's a yes?"
    The wind eased and dawn began to peek through. Irene kissed the stone by her knees and stood. "I will always love you, Tom. Always."