Saint

"But I thought-"
     "I didn't tell my father, but he forces himself on me and I guess..." she trailed off and began to cry harder. She placed her hand on her stomach.
"How many months?" Irene asked stroking Bridget's hair as she sobbed into Irene's shoulder.
     "Five."
     "Is everything healthy?"
     "Yes. I've been going to the doctor."
     "Listen, it's alright. You're going to come live with me for a little while, okay?"
     Bridget nodded and they both stood up. "Let's go see my dad."
    "He's worried sick about you."
    "I know he is."
They exited the bathroom and Marty waited outside of the door. He hugged Bridget tightly, "Are ya alright, Princess?"
"I'm alright, Daddy."
     "Let's take her to my house to get cleaned up. She can stay with me for as long as she likes, but we do need to call the police."
     Marty nodded and Irene held Bridget around the waist as they walked out. Marty dialed the police and reported the incident while Irene drove back to her house. When they arrived, she helped Bridget inside. "Are you feeling alright, sweetie?"
     Bridget nodded, "Can I have a glass of water?"
    "Sure thing," Irene smiled. She was Bridget to the couch where Bridget sat down and fell asleep.
     "Marty, you can stay if you'd like."
     "It's alright. I'll be here tomorrow morning. Take care of my princess."
     "I will, Marty." Irene kissed him and with that he left.
     The next morning, Bridget woke up to the smells coming from the kitchen. She walked out and saw Irene donning an apron and making cinnamon rolls, "I hope you like cinnamon rolls."
     "I love them! They're my favorite actually. How'd you know?"
     "I called your father. I know, tricky aren't I?" Irene laughed.
     Bridget sat at the bar in Irene's kitchen as Irene passed her a plate with a gooey cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee, "It's decaf," Irene said.
     "Thanks," Bridget smiled, "So what's the deal with you and my dad?"
     "It's complicated. I met him a long time ago, but my husband had just died and... Well, we're trying it again."
"My dad has been lonely ever since my mom died. He always talked about being scared for me to leave. So tell me about yourself."
"I have four kids of my own. My husband died after we were married for only three years."
"God, I'm so sorry."
"Thank you," Irene said quietly, "Well, why don't you go take a shower. I'll get you some towels and I'll call my daughter to bring you a change of clothes. She saved a few pieces of maternity clothes from when she was pregnant."
Bridget stood and hugged Irene, "You're a saint. Thank you so much."
"I just want you to know that you are welcome here as long as you like. I know your dad has a small apartment in Boston, but from what he's told me it's barely big enough for him."
"It's like a freaking jail cell."
Bridget stood and Irene showed her to the guest bathroom. "There's the shampoo and soap; here are the towels and wash clothes; and here's an extra bathrobe until my daughter comes."
"Okay, thank you."
Irene left Bridget to take a shower and went to call Katie, "Hello."
"Hey, kid. Can you bring your old maternity clothes over to my house?"
"Why?"
"I'll explain when you get here."
"Alright, I'll be there in five."
It was exactly five minutes when Katie and Natalie arrived, "So what's up?" Katie asked handing her the bag of clothes.
"I met a man shortly after your father died and we talked, but I just didn't feel right then. I met him again though just recently and we went on a date, but his daughter called because her husband punched her. She's also pregnant because he had raped her," Irene whispered in Katie's ear.
"Oh wow. Well, I have to get this one to preschool."
      "Mimi, you come tonight?"
      "To your preschool graduation? Of course!"
       Natalie hugged her leg and then they left. Irene went towards the guest bathroom and Bridget emerged wearing a robe, "Here's what my daughter brought."
      "Is she still here? I'd like to thank her."
      "She had to get her daughter to preschool, but you can meet her tonight. Anyways, find something you like. I have to go meet my brother for lunch in two hours, but you are welcome to come."
      "Alright. That sounds fun."
      "Okay. Oh, and if you need any make-up there's a drug store just down the block. I can walk with you there."
     Bridget smiled and hugged Irene, "You're a saint."