Fighting

"Mom, I think we need to talk about something."
"Uh, yeah. I think we do," Irene said feeling her blood beginning to boil.
Caroline and John then ran out of the house, "What's going on?" Caroline asked.
"Irene, calm down," John said.
"You knew!" Irene snapped, "That was the whole point of yesterday. You just wanted to butter me up!"
"Irene, I think we're overreacting here," John said trying to calm Irene down.
"How in the hell am I supposed to calm down! My single nineteen year old daughter is knocked up."
"Oh my," Caroline said quietly.
"Mom," Josie began, "It's all going to be alright."
"I don't think anyone understands how serious this is!"
"This is why I didn't tell you, Mom. I knew you'd flip!"
      "Irene," Caroline said calmly, "we ought to go inside to sort this mess out."   
     They walked inside with Caroline by Irene's side and John apologizing, "John," Irene said quietly as Josie and Katie were following behind her, "I'm not mad at you. I'm sure you kept her from screwing things up worse than they already are."
      "I did. She wanted to have an abortion and I talked her out of it."
     "I'm glad. She'd never forgive herself. Go tell Mom and Dad though while I start to sort through this mess."
     The family took a seat in the living room. Caroline sat protectively by her sister while Josie did the same with her sister. Katie then placed her hand on her stomach. "Tell me everything," Irene said.
     "Are you going to yell?" Katie asked.
    "No. I'm over the yelling, but you need to tell me everything."
    "Well, it happened back in August. I met this senior and we-"
    "Okay, when I said tell me everything I didn't mean details."
     "Alright, Mom. So a few weeks later I found out I was pregnant. I called John to see what he thought. I wanted an abortion, but he told me that when you found out you'd be madder at me."
    "Well, he was right."
    "So I kept the baby, but the time was never right to tell you."
    "What about the father?" Caroline asked.
    "He dropped out and I haven't heard a word from him after I told him."
    Just then, Irene heard someone stomping. Jack stormed in and began to yell more than she had ever heard him yell. "What the hell is wrong with you? You're a Kennedy! We have a name and a reputation to uphold! Do you think this is a game! This is serious!"
     "What if I don't want to be a Kennedy?"
     "You don't talk back to your grandfather! Shut your mouth and listen for once."
    "You should say close your legs," Josie muttered.
    "Shut up, Josie!" Katie snapped.
    "Calm down!" John yelled at Jack and Irene.
    "John, I'd stay out of this if I were you!" Caroline said.
    "Well, it's a good thing you're not me then isn't it, coward?"
    "Shut up, you ass!" Caroline shot back.
     "Why does it sound like all hell is breaking loose down there?" Jackie asked Max as they walked down the stairs together.
     When they got to the bottom of the stairs, they watched in amazement as everyone screamed and yelled at each other. "Quiet!" yelled Jackie.
     Everyone silenced and looked at Jackie, "Now, let's sit down and discuss this- like human beings. Shall we?"