Christmas is a Comin'

The first few months of Irene's and Marty's marriage passed quickly. Before they knew it, Christmas had arrived. Irene and Marty spent all of Christmas Eve wrapping presents. At nine in the evening, there was a knock at the door.
"Shall I go get that?"
"I got it, but who could it be?"
Irene opened the door and saw Max standing at the door, "Hey, Mackey!" Irene smiled hugging him, "What's up... Oh my God! You're here to drive me to midnight Mass."
"Oh, Mom," Max said shaking his head.
"I'll go get ready. You help Marty."
Irene ran upstairs and got dressed in her church clothes than dashed back downstairs, "I'll be back," she said kissing Marty's cheek.
"Yep, I'll get all this wrapping done."
"Thank you! Don't forget Caroline's gift on our bed."
"Yep. See you later. Love you."
"Love you too."
Max drove Irene to church and they enjoyed the Mass together. On the way home, Max and Irene chatted, "Mackey, you can stay with us tonight. It's late and snowy. I don't want you driving to your little apartment."
"Mom, I've wanted to talk to you about something. I'm going to run for governor this year. I don't want to sink money in an apartment if it's alright to live with you and Marty."
"Oh, Mackey. You can most definitely live with Marty and I and whether you like it or not, you're going to have one of the best campaigners on your side."
"Who's that?"
"It's me," Irene laughed.
"Really? You'll help me after everything with Dad?"
"Mackey, you're my baby and I'll support you, but if anybody comes after you, they're going to go through me."
They arrived back at the house and found Marty sleeping on the couch. "Irene, darling?" he moaned as she gently whispered in his ear to wake him.
"Go to bed, Marty," Irene whispered gently.
He groaned and got up. He made his way to their bedroom and Irene followed behind him, "See you in the morning, Mackey. I love you."
"I love you too, Mom."
The next morning, Marty woke Irene up with a tender kiss, "Top of the mornin' to ya, darlin'," Marty grinned.
"Merry Christmas, my love."
      They were interrupted by a soft knock on the door. "Marty, Mom, it's time to get up."
      Irene climbed out of bed and opened the door. "Good morning, Mackey."
      He smiled and hugged Irene.
     Irene followed Max downstairs as Marty got dressed and soon Christmas was in full swing.