Growing Up

Jack, John, and Irene sat in Katie's room while she slept. Irene held the tiny little girl in her arms on her lap. She looked at her face and smiled at her when she opened her eyes, "Hi, baby!" Irene whispered.
     The little girl giggled at Irene, "You ought to hold her, John. If you ever want a political career, you're going to need to settle down eventually."
Irene glanced at John, "Dad's right." She picked up the baby so that she could comfortably place her in John's arms, "Alright, now support her head and neck and hold her body with you other hand and forearm." Irene smiled as she then stepped away and John held her by himself.
"She's not poisonous, John. Cradle her like you would a baby."
Irene laughed. They watched John pull the baby closer into him, "What's she going to name her?" John asked becoming more comfortable.
    "I still don't know if she wants to raise her. Katie never wanted kids. She was adamant about it."
    They sat quietly until Katie woke up, "How is she?"
    "She's beautiful, Katie," Jack said grabbing her hand.
    "Katie, are you going to keep her and raise her yourself?" John asked.
     Katie nodded as John placed the little girl into her arms, "Yeah, I guess I better start growing up."
    "John. Dad. Can you give us a minute?"
     They stepped out of the room, "Katie, are you really ready for this? This means no career right now-"
    Katie stopped her, "Mom, you raised four of us by yourself so if I can be one fourth like you, I got this."
     Irene smiled, "You do, but I'll always be here for help."
    "It's your turn to be grandma, Mom."
    Irene kissed her and then left to get some breakfast.
     "How'd it go?" Jack asked following behind her in the cafeteria line.
     "I think she's finally growing up."