Sealed with a Kiss

Irene snuck back into the house and made herself a cup of coffee. As she stared into the cup of blackness, she felt a hand laid on her shoulder, "How are you holding up?" her father's calming voice asked her.
"Dad," she sighed, "I can't do this today."
"I don't know if any of us can."

That afternoon the family made the procession to Tom's grave and the places for her beloved Louis. Max stayed by her side all day as she sobbed uncontrollably. When they arrived back at the house in which they were staying, Irene flopped down on the bed. Marty came inside and sat down on the edge of the bed, "Marty, I can't let you do this," Irene cried as he slipped off his shoes.
    "Do what, my lass?"
    "Marty, you're marrying into one hell of a mess. I don't want you to have to deal with all of this."
    "And I don't want you to have to deal with all of this alone. I'm not letting you go anywhere this time."
    Irene sat up on the bed and placed her head on Marty's shoulder, "I love you," she sighed.
    "I love you too," he said kissing her cheek.

     Over the course of the next few weeks and months, Irene struggled to plan her wedding while grieving the loss of her son, but eventually the eve of her wedding came. Bridget, Sierra, Katie, Natalie, Josie, Jackie, and Caroline all gathered at Irene's home the night before the wedding. After Sierra and Natalie had been put to bed, the adult women sat around drinking wine. "Irene, are you nervous or excited about tomorrow?"
     "Both, I haven't been married in over twenty years, but then again I've been alone that long."
     Just then, Katie burst into tears, "What's wrong?" Josie asked hugging her.
    "I wish... Never mind," she sniffles.
    Irene sighed, "I wish that too, Katie."
    Katie nodded knowing that her mother and her we're both thinking about the same thing.
     After awhile everyone grew tired and went to bed, the next morning was chaotic as expected. At the end of the night, the hellish life that had been endured by both Marty and Irene all seemed worth it by the end of the night when they sealed their love with a kiss.