Whirlwind

The next few weeks passed quickly, as John and Bridget wanted to marry before the baby was born. The day had finally arrived and Irene was out of her mind. "Jesus Christ! Where the hell did I put my keys?" Irene yelled as the curlers in her hair bounced.
"Mom, here are your keys," Josie said dropping Irene's car keys into her hand, "Now, smile for a picture because you are quite a site." Josie snapped a photograph of her mother.
Irene was wearing a striped button up shirt tucked into a pair of bootcut jeans and high heeled black boots. Her long auburn hair was pulled up in curlers and her face was free of any make-up.
"Alright, you had your laugh, Josie. Hold down the fort until I get back from my hair, make-up, and nail appointment!"
"We've got it, Mom!" Katie called from the kitchen where she was preparing favors.
Irene opened the door and jumped, "Geez! Caroline, you scared me!"
"Sorry, where you headed, Sis?"
"My hair, make-up, and nail appointments," Irene said waving to Edwin as he pulled out of Irene's driveway.
"What should I do in there?"
"Ask the girls what they need. They're running things while I'm out."
"Alright," Caroline smiled kissing Irene's cheek, "Hey, and don't forget to breathe."
"I won't," Irene sighed.
Meanwhile Jack, John, Marty, Max, and Louis were at Jack and Jackie's house. "Dad, how do you and Mom do it?" John asked while he and Jack were alone.
"Do what?" Jack groaned as he sat down on John's bed.
"You two are just so great together."
"I know. I got lucky with your mother, but for the first few years of our marriage I was an ass. Your mother put up with a lot before we had a good marriage."
"Do you think Bridget and I have a good chance? Do you think I'll be able to love the baby like it's my own?"
"John, you and Bridget have a damn good chance if you just always make it a point to work on your marriage. As far as the baby, you should ask your mother because Irene isn't her baby and they're just as close as her and Caroline are."
"That's true. I guess that I sometimes forget that."
"It's easy to forget. They act like mother and daughter."
"Thanks, Dad."
Jack patted John on the back, "You're a good kid and it's remarkable what you're doing. It takes one hell of a man to walk into what you are."
"It's nothing to me. I love Bridget."

    Irene got back to her house with her hair done in an updo, her make-up done, and her nails manicured. "Bonjour!" Irene called walking in the door.
    "You seem relaxed," Caroline commented taking a box of flowers off of her.
    "I am very relaxed. While I was getting my hair done, I drank the best damn glass of wine I have ever had."
    "Well, it's a good thing you're relaxed because there's an issue."
    "What?" Irene moaned.
    "Her dress isn't fiting."
    Irene dashed upstairs where Bridget was standing in her wedding dress while Josie was trying to button and zip it.
    "Mom, what do we do?" Bridget asked in a panic.
    Irene looked at the back of the dress. "I can fix it, kid. I just have to let this seam out. It's almost zipping. So we only need to let it out like a half inch."
    Irene got straight to work and an hour later, Bridget was descending the stairs. She looked beautiful. Her dress was a white empire wasted dress. "You look amazing," Irene said putting her hand over her mouth.
    "You do too, Mom." Irene used her hand to smooth her burnt orange dress with gold embellishments.
    Marty then knocked on the door, "Come in, Marty," Irene called.
    As he walked in the door, his eyes lit up. "You look beautiful, Bridget."
    "Thank you," Bridget smiled.
    Caroline, Josie, and Katie were dressed in their burnt orange bridesmaids dresses which Bridget had requested that Irene match. A few photographs were snapped and then they went off to the church.
    Everything was a whirlwind, but in only a little over and hour Bridget and John were exiting the church as a married couple. They went to the reception venue and danced until late that night. As everyone was leaving, Irene sat with Bridget eating a piece of cake. "Are you alright?" Irene asked noticing Bridget squirm.
    She groaned. "John!" Irene jumped out of her seat and ran to get him, "I think you're going to be a father sooner than you were expecting!"
    John dashed toward Bridget and helped her to her feet. "Let's go."