Chapter 21

Vic's POV

"Vic, wake up." I hear someone yelling but I just groan tightening my grip on Kellin's waist as he stirs.

"Vic, it's Mike." My eyes shoot open at the mention of his name so I sit up rapidly looking at Mark who's standing at my door with an urgent look on his face.

"What happened?" I ask fearing the worst.

"I think he's waking up." Mark exclaims and for a minute I can't move, or breathe, or do anything. It's almost as if reality has detached itself from me.

It's Kellin's touch and his voice that brings me back.

"Vic, go. Everything's going to be okay." He whispers and I nod giving him a frightened look.

I quickly get out of bed and rush to Mike's room where there are nurses surrounding his bed.

"Hun, sit still for a second. You're alright, you're safe." I hear a nurse saying calmly.

"Vic, I want Vic." I hear my brother crying in a raspy voice. Tears well up in my eyes. Is he really calling for me?

I push a nurse out of the way. Surely they don't all need to be here. I get a clear view of my brother who's fighting to sit up but the nurses are pushing him back down. He has a terrified look on his face. I grab his hand that's lashing out and he turns to me.

"I'm here Mikey. I'm here." He relaxes a bit and the nurses do what they need to, removing numerous tubes from him and other stuff.

Mike stares into my eyes seeming frightened and confused.

"Can you excuse us?" I ask the nurses and they nod, seeming to be done with everything.

They leave, closing the door behind them.

"V-vic? Where am I? What happened? I'm so confused." Mike asks tearing up.

"Hey, it's alright, calm down. You're in your room. You've been in a coma and you've just woken up." I explain and Mike blinks a few times.

"A coma? For how long? Why?" He asks.

"About two years now. You tried to kill yourself. Do you remember that?" I ask trying to push back the tears that are entering my eyes as I mention it.

Mike thinks for a minute before his face changes to one of regret.

"Oh." He whispers before nodding. "Yeah, I remember. I'm sorry."

"Hey, no, don't apologize. I should be the one apologizing. I'm so sorry I let them hurt you Mike, I'm sorry that I never stood up for you. I'm just so sorry." I cry letting the tears stream down my cheeks.

Mike stays silent for a minute looking around the room at everything but me. When he finally looks at me, tears are threatening to spill from his eyes.

"The last thing I said to you was 'I hate you'. You've lived with that for two years, it could have been more. I don't hate you Vic. Nothing I said that day meant anything. None of that was your fault. I was just scared, because you found out, about my cutting." Mike explains and I give him a hopeful look.

"You don't hate me?" I ask my voice cracking.

He shakes his head and squeezes my hand.

"Of course not. You're my big brother. I love you. And despite the fact that you ignored what was happening at school, you still always tried to make sure I was okay when we were at home." Mike explains.

"But that's the thing Mikey, you weren't okay." I croak out and Mike looks down sighing.

"That's not on you Vic. Even if you had stood up for me, I don't think they would have stopped. I think they would have just brought you into it. I don't know what I would have done if you got hurt."