Chapter 40

Cara's POV

I drove through the downpour, the heavy droplets of rain hitting the windscreen, causing loud rattling noises as they did. I was freezing and I bet Kendall was too, she has her arms wrapped around her torso, getting as much warmth as she could.

I continued to drive, searching for any restaurant available for drive thru's. I then spotted a large signage with an arrow pointing towards a lane, it's bright neon signage shining through the darkness. I turned left, going in through, i'm guessing, the drive thru lane. I stepped on the breaks as I reached the speaker stand. I slightly opened my side of the window, avoiding as much droplets of rain splattering into the car as possible. I then waited for the lady behind the speaker to acknowledge my presence.

After a moment of waiting, a voice finally came through the speaker.

"Good evening!" She spoke loudly. "What would you like to have tonight?" She added after her greeting.

"Good evening, i'll just have a look." I shouted as the heavy downpour tried to cover my voice.

"Okay, take your time miss!" She shouted back in reply.

"Kenny." I looked over at Kendall to ask her what she wanted. "Jesus Christ are you alright?!" I exclaimed as I realized Kendall was already shivering.

"I'm c-c-cold." Kendall chattered from the cold.

"I know that!" I exclaimed.

"S-stop sh-sh-shouting at m-me!" Kendall spat, making me calm down.

"Sorry." I lowered my voice. "Wait i'll look for something you could get warmth from." I told Kendall as I unlocked my door.

"No." Kendall stopped me.

"But you're co-"

"It's okay." Kendall placed her hand on my shoulder, causing me to slightly flinch.

"Okay then..." I nodded, locking my door. "Wanna sit with me?" I suggested.

Kendall laughed softly, "Do y-you think w-we'll fit?"

"We'll make it work." I gave her a reassuring smile.

Kendall scooted over, lifting her leg to reach over to my side. I adjusted myself, moving to the side and moving by butt backward as Kendall moved her butt forward so that we could fit.

"Told you we could make it wo-"

"Hello miss?" The woman behind the speaker spoke. "Are you still there?" She questioned me.

"Sorry, yes i'm still here." I replied. "Just having last decisions." I added.

"Okay!" She shouted back again.

"What do you want, love?" I asked Kenny and at the same time I checked the menu board to see what I wanted.

"I'll g-get the f-fish fillet b-burger." Kendall informed me, eyeing the board.

"Alright." I confirmed as I decided my order. "That's it?" I asked her.

"Mhmm." Kendall hummed.

"Sorry for the long wait!" I shouted at the speaker. "We're ready to order now." I added.

"It's okay miss!" She spoke. "Okay, what are your orders?" She asked.

"One fish fillet burger and one bacon mushroom melt!" I shouted again.

"Okay, are you gonna get those with fries and coke?" She asked.

"You want yours with fries and coke?" I asked Kendall, looking over at her.

"Yeah sure babe." She answered.

"Yes please!" I shouted at the speaker.

"Okay!" The woman confirmed. "Anything else?" She added.

"Nope that's it!" I answered loudly.

"Okay, thank you miss!" She spoke. "Please proceed to the next window." She instructed me.

"Okay thanks!" I shouted back.

I drove to the next window, claiming our food. I payed the cashier, gave Kendall the bag of food and she placed it on the seat she was on awhile ago. The cashier gave me my change and after that, I drove off back to the dark pavement roads.

"Cara?" Kendall spoke.

"Yes love?" I asked her.

"Can I lay my head on your chest?" She looked at me, asking for my permission. "It's kinda hard sitting up straight while you're driving." She added.

"Sure love." I gave her a smile. "Let me just adjust my seat." I added, fidgeting on the lever beside my seat.

"Okay?" Kendall asked after I stopped adjusting my seat.

"Okay." I replied.

Kendall laid down on my chest, making her arm rest on my stomach. Later on, I heard soft snoring coming from Kendall. She was now asleep, I stopped at the red light on the stoplight and sighed. God, this was a long day, I thought. I kissed Kendall on the forehead and looked back at the windscreen, waiting for the stoplight to flash green. Fatigue was taking over my body, I was more than happy to think of what it would be like to lay back down on the soft mattress of my bed with Kendall beside me.