19. Sending a Message

Shay and I grew closer together as the time went on. I was most definitely starting to progress feelings for him. However, I couldn't act on them. I felt as if I were betraying Tommy. I had to shove them down. I made a vow to Tommy so long ago that I would never be unfaithful to him. Or, perhaps I was making these things up in order to justify my means of not acting on the feelings I had for Shay. I hoped that once we escaped this hell hole, if we escaped. That these false emotions would fade away with time. But the more I stared at him, the more I knew that it wouldn't be possible. I even pondered on whether I should leave the Morrigan and just go back to old life. But then again, I was technically still a prisoner of war.

Gist had healed nicely; his leg was no longer bothering him too much. Occasionally he would complain that his muscle ached. I figured it was either from the bullet wound or because he was using muscles he didn't normally use. Either way, I knew he would have to suck it up if he didn't want to be punched by Shay, me, or the pirates who had to continuously listen to his insufferable complaining. A few weeks after we started using the corpse as a seat. The smell trailed all the way up to the captain's cabin where he forced us to dispose of it. To say the least, it was a messy endeavor. We continued conversing with the other prisoners. Attempting to think of a way to escape the clutches of these pirates. We'd been in here long enough, there were a few more tweaks we needed to think up before we could set the plan in motion.

"Well, how are we going to get out of here?" Joseph spoke the burning question we'd all been itching to ask.

Shay thought for a moment. "Do all of you know to sail?"

Hogar snickered. "Of course we do, we've been sailing these parts when you were in your mothers womb."

I rolled my eyes as I fidgeted with a piece of my clothing. "I just wanted to make sure." Shay responded before sighing. "We can retake my ship, the Morrigan, and then we all can sail back to New York and go our separate ways if you so desire."

"And what if we want to, say, take on the Storm Fortress. This thing took everything away from us, it has the power to take down a whole city. What would happen if they came after us and decided to hit New York? We would all die, alongside the whole city." Hogar made a valid point, all things considered.

"What if some of us were to remain on the Storm Fortress, but we killed the captain?" I glanced over at Shay. "What if you used the Morrigan to draw attention away from us. While Chubs was pursuing you guys, he wouldn't think twice about who was on his ship. That would give us the chance to kill the pirate scumbag and take on the Storm Fortress. The problem is, though, we'll have to figure out a way to get past the crew, I mean, we could just kill them all. But I want to avoid losing too many lives, if possible, no lives what so ever."

Joseph and Hogar exchanged intrigued looks before nodding their heads. "We like your plan, girl."

"It's Neah, and don't you forget that." I snapped.

Hogar raised his hands in surrender. "Apologies, ma'am, I will refrain from making the same mistake again."

"Glad we have an understanding, Hogar." I smiled.

We both chuckled before snapping our attention to the stairs where Chubs came storming down with his minions trailing behind him. "The Templar's are slow to reply, Master Cormac." He looked furious, which worried me. "So, now, I'll have to turn to more... drastic measures so they'll respond."

Shay scoffed. "You do realize that they could care less if I'm in here. I may be their greatest asset against the Creed, but their mission is far more important than my life."

The pirate waddled over to the cage and glared at Cormac. "Don't make me put you in your place, boy."

"It's Captain Cormac to you, Chubs." I snapped, not even taking into consideration what I had just said.