Westminster Base Camp *edited*

10:00am

After lunch, study time and dinner, we descend down to floor 1.

‘Why are we here?’ says Leon.

‘It’s the married couple’s bedrooms and there is a meeting room there,’ I say, giving Leon an encouraging smile.

He returns a smile; it surprises me that he can be so relaxed in a situation like this. I mean, my parents are about the meet the boy who got me a prison sentence. In fact, Leon is about to meet the parents of a girl that he got into prison.

I go to floor 1 reception and ask where my mum and dad are. They are in meeting room 1. Nancie has come with us, I am thankful because my parents like Nancie and they don’t shout if I’m with a friend, usually. As we approach the meeting room, I suddenly start to laugh.

‘Maggie?’ says Nancie.

‘It’s, it’s just that, that I am relieved in a way,’ I say.

‘Why?’ asks Leon, laughing at me laughing.

‘Because for eight months, a part of me has always thought about you and now you’re here, I feel like… I don’t need to worry anymore,’ I say, grinning.

‘I missed you Maggie, I did think about you too,’ he says and kisses me.

‘Get a room,’ laughs Nancie.

I laugh and pull back.

We reach the door and I knock gently. I hear my mum give permission for me to come in. I gesture for Nancie and Leon to wait there. I take a deep breath and step in.

 ‘BO’s given you more coursework I hear,’ says my Dad.

‘Yeah, she terminated my personal mission as well,’ I say, grinding my teeth together.

‘That’s not fair, I’ll speak to Ms Oak,’ says Mum.

‘Don’t worry about it. I actually have somebody here to see you and it would mean a lot to me if you didn’t shout or be really angry and unwelcoming. Oh and Nancie’s here too,’ I say quickly not meeting their eyes.

‘Okay, bring her in,’ says Dad.

‘It’s a boy, Dad,’ I say.

‘Oh… okay, bring him in,’ laughs Dad.

I nod and walk back out of the door. I gesture for Leon and Nancie to come in.

‘Mr and Mrs Marshall,’ says Leon and shakes my parents’ hands.

A quick wash of realization wavers over my Mum’s face and I breathe in quickly.

‘I am Leon Matthews,’ introduces Leon.

‘Ah yes, hello Leon. You’re the person who accompanied Maggie in prison,’ says Mum.

‘I don’t think the word accompany suits it,’ says Dad.

‘I am truly very sorry for what happened, do you remember my parents?’ asks Leon.

‘We accept your apology. Yes, I worked with your mother on a few occasions. What I would like to know is why you are here?’ says Mum.

‘I have left Chatsworth and I am now a loyal agent to the LSA,’ Leon said dipping his head slightly.

‘Mum, BO has said that I’m not allowed to see Leon. Is there anything you can do?’ I ask a pleading tone in my voice.

‘I’m afraid it’s BO’s word, I’m not your boss, she is,’ says Mum.

‘But…’ I start.

‘Maggie,’ finishes my Dad.

I nod and walk away, I am closely followed by Nancie. I hear Leon thank my parents and then we are all in the corridor.

‘Have you got your key to your room yet?’ I ask.

‘No, they just told me where my room was,’ he says.

‘It’s a shame, if we hadn’t met before and we met now, then everything would be perfect. We’d be in the same area of work, same floor, but it’s just going to be difficult,’ I sigh.

‘You wish we hadn’t met,’ says Leon.

‘No, I just wish things were easier,’ I say wrapping my arm around his waist.

‘It will be okay,’ he says and kisses the top of my head.

I nod and enter the lift to the reception.

We pick up Leon’s keys and then head back up to our rooms. Some observers are around us so we can’t say goodbye properly. Instead, he puts his hand on my shoulder gives it a light squeeze and says good night. I smile and say goodnight. Nancie, Leon and I are going out tomorrow to find some things for Leon’s bedroom. Over the years, I have personalized mine from the usual red and gold, to pink, to red and now to blue and white. Nancie has a pink-peach and white theme to her bedroom.

It is so frustrating that Leon is inches away but I cannot see or talk or be with him. I will be with Leon, even if it costs me my career or even my life.