Day 19

Chatsworth Criminal Prison: Ward 1

Day 19

I have asked Barker if he could ask Sallie to come and see me. I want to ask her if she has heard anything about Leon. I would ask Barker, but he'll get suspicious and say nothing. He says he would send her down today. I have been here a whole 19 days and have only two more to go. I can't wait to get out of here, although I dread to think of what I might find when I go back to the LSA.

Sallie comes just after I have finished my lunch. She looks different, she has a pale blue uniform on and it doesn't look as heavy and as formal as what she used to wear.

'So, have you heard anything about Leon?' I ask.

'Didn't you hear? He was let out three days ago. They've allowed him back into the Chatsworth base and he is out with the low rank agents. Pity, he was a great spy, young, but brilliant. I haven't met him personally, but I sure have heard of him,' says Sallie.

A knot of guilt twists in my stomach as I picture Leon, capable of very complex missions, doing tasks like rescuing wildlife from the forest. As much as I love wildlife, I too would much rather be doing advanced and challenging missions.

'No, I was too afraid to ask Paul or Barker,' I say.

'Oh yes, they are a beastly pair aren't they?' she says, not needing me to answer.

'What were you promoted to?' I ask, trying to lighten the subject.

'I observe target practice. It is much more exciting than being a prison warden, no offence. I get to test out all the weapons and make sure they work properly,' she says, smiling.

'It's a strange promotion. Being a prison warden, then a weapon tester,' I say.

'Yes well, we get tested every three months and the observers noticed my knowledge of weaponry. They gave me a test run and said I was great for the job. Now I supervise and test all the imported weapons, which then get sent off to military bases,' Sallie says, eyes glowing with pride.

'Sounds fun,' I say, but I don't really mean it, I just join in with Sallie's enthusiasm.

Sallie stays a while and we talk about home and family. She has a young son at home. It's weird that Sallie is around twenty years older than me, but I can still talk to her as if she was a teenage friend, or a mother. Then homesickness creeps in. I think of how my mum used to stoke up the fire and bake cookies for when Nancie and I had finished our long day.

I turn away from Sallie and try to hide my emotion.

'You miss home, don't you?' says Sallie, turning me to face her. I manage to nod.

'It is disgusting really. Keeping a young girl like you away from her family and friends,' whispers Sallie, stroking my head.

'My best friend doesn't like me. I confided in her about Leon and she disagreed with what I was doing. I should have listened to her. He was nothing but a liar,' I blurt, keeping my head down.

'It's OK Maggie. We grow up, people change. I'd be nobody if I hadn't had my fair share of stupid boys. When you really love somebody, no matter what they do or say, you forgive them. We hurt the ones we love the most because we know that they will love us no matter what,' she says and pulls me close for a small hug.

She reaches for my drawing pad and looks at the pictures.

'Is this Leon?' asks Sallie, pointing to my sketches.

'Yeah, this is when we first met...' I say pointing to the first pictures, '...and this is when I saw him last.'

'Oh Maggie, did he really look like that? Or was your brain upset and made you draw him miserable?' asks Sallie.

'He looked like that. He was so angry with me. I don't... I don't think I will ever see him again,' I say, even though it pains me to of said it.

Eventually, Sallie leaves. I go to bed early that evening and lie there imagining Leon happy and complete. It comforts me enough that I slowly drift off to sleep.