Chapter 26

And it feels like I am just too close to love you “What do you want Janeece?” I said drearily down the phone, I looked at the clock and pushed my hand through my hair when I saw it was only half 6 “I need you to come look after Cheryl then take her to the child minders” she said and I groaned “Janeece it’s half 6 in the morning, I’ve just got up. Go and ask Chalky to do it” I said and hung up the phone. I put my mobile on the bed side table and lay back in my bed for a few minutes before pushing the covers back and getting out, I went into the bathroom and had a shower before putting my uniform on (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=91859638) and walking downstairs. “Er who’s wet the bed?” I asked as I walked into the dining room to see a bed cover with a dark wet patch in the middle of it “Someone pissed in my bed” Scout protested and I laughed “What sick person takes a slash in someone else’s bed?” I said then walked away and got something to eat. Once I’d finished eating I waited for Phoenix and walked out with him since Tariq had kayaking that morning, we were together and talking when I saw Rhiannon walk past us “Oi, chubster” I shouted and she turned around “I know it were you who pissed in Scout’s bed, I ain’t an idiot so you best tell Maggie it was you or I will” I said to her she just glared at me then walked off. “Hey you alright?” I asked Scout when Phoenix walked away with Rhiannon inside the gates, Scout just nodded and we walked in together going to form. “Where’s Mr Chalk?” Janeece suddenly said at the door and we all turned around “Not here” I told her then turned back to Scout, I heard my dad’s voice but didn’t turn around not even when he told us all to sit down “KAITLIN SIT DOWN!” he shouted and I breathed out heavily then sat down on the chair next to Scout. I sat with Scout through form but walked off from her when the bell went and walked with Phoenix to English then sat down next to him “Miss, are you alright?” I asked when she just stopped talking and started saying how hot it was. “Sorry, I-where was I?” Miss Mulgrew asked “Fantasy world” Imogen said and Miss Mulgrew walked back to her desk “Do you think this has anything to do with her downfall?” she asked us all “Yeah, she’s her own worst enemy, she can’t handle who she really is” Phoenix said, I looked at him then at Miss Mulgrew before chucking my book on the desk and sitting back “Open your book back up please Kaitlin” she said and started fanning herself with her own book “Nah this is crap, miss, we ain’t learning ought so why should I open my book?” I asked and looked across the room. “I said open your book up” she shouted at me, I looked at her then grabbed my bag and stood up “You sit back down now” she shouted at me and pushed me “Oh my god, miss, you can’t do that” Scout said and got up from her seat, I looked at the floor and started coughing as my chest started to get tight. “Kaitlin? Kaitlin are you okay?!” Scout asked then looked up as Phoenix came over “Go get Mr Byrne” Scout said to Phoenix and he got up and ran out with the rest of the class. “Maggie! Maggie come here, I think Kaitlin’s having an asthma attack or something” I heard Phoenix shout down the stairs and before I knew it Maggie was in front of me, she told Phoenix to go and get my dad then helped me onto my feet when I suddenly coughed up and spat out blood “Alright there Kaitlin, sit down” Maggie said and sat me down on a chair before rushing out, she came back about a minute or two later with a bucket and put it in front of me. Maggie sat with me the whole time until my dad came in “Sorry, I had to sort something out. What happened?” my dad asked and knelt down in front of me. “Miss Mulgrew pushed me” I stammered and started to shake before coughing up more blood into the bucket “Can you call for ambulance please” my dad said to Maggie “No please, dad, I don’t want to go into hospital” I said and started to cry, he looked at me and wiped away my tears “We need to get you checked out, love, I’ll be there the whole time” my dad said and he hugged me then pulled back when he heard me make a noise and I coughed up again. By the time the ambulance came it was break time so everyone was watching as I was taken into an ambulance “What’s going on? What happened?” I heard Tariq say but I couldn’t see him since I had a breathing mask over my face, I was taken outside and into the ambulance where I saw pretty much the whole school watching then I spotted Tariq. “What’re you doing here? Where’s my dad?” I asked weakly when Tom climbed into the ambulance, he put the breathing mask back over my face as the doors were shut and we were driven away “He needs to sort some things out with Janeece and Mr Chalk” Tom said “Typical” I said through the mask and lay silently as we were driven to the hospital.

“Kaitlin? We need to talk to you about what happened today, do you think you’re feeling okay to talk?” a nurse asked me after we’d been at the hospital for about 2 hours, I looked up in my bed and nodded before the nurse sat down on the bed. “You have Bronchiectasis, this is where the pipes to your-“ the nurse started “I know what it is…” I interrupted and the nurse nodded “We’ve done some tests and we’ve found that it was caused by Aspergillosis” she said, I looked at her and listened as she explained what that was. “We want to keep you in hospital for a few days and you’ll have to stay off school for at least a week then you’ll have to start taking quite a lot of medication, one that you’ll take for quite some time to clear up the Bronchiectasis and one that you’ll have to take for the rest of your life for the Aspergillosis” the nurse said, I looked at Tom then back at the nurse before nodding. “So I’ll leave you with your dad and be back later when the medication is ready” the nurse said and got up off the bed “Oh, I’m not her dad, her dad’ll be here later he’s had some trouble at work. He’s erm he’s the head teacher at Waterloo Road” Tom explained, the nurse just nodded and walked out leaving me alone with Tom. “It’s gonna be okay, Kaitlin” Tom said, I just looked at him and lay back on my pillow “Just leave it sir, you can go if you want I’ll be fine on my own” I said and turned over facing away from him. “Are you sure?” he asked and I heard him get up from the chair “Positive” I said and blinked away a tear as I felt his hand on my shoulder then heard him walk away.

It felt like I’d been in hospital for days but when I finally looked at the clock I saw it had only been about 4 hours, I grabbed my phone off the side of the bed and saw my dad hadn’t text me but some other people had

Hope you’re okay, Clarkson told us about your illness, I’ll come see you later if you’re up for it, love you xxxx from Tariq

Get well soon, will see you when you get home cause I’ll come and visit you, hope you’re okay, call me if you need ought xx off Scout

Get well soon x off both Phoenix and Josh

I’ll pop round and see you when you get home, get better soon xx off Sian. I sighed and quickly replied to them all, giving them the same answer before lying back in my bed. I’d been in the hospital for a further 2 hours when my dad burst through the doors. “Kaitlin, I’m so sorry, I had to sort loads of things out” he said and came over, he sat down in the chair next to my bed and went to grab my hand but I pulled it away “Just go, dad, I don’t want you here” I snapped at him and turned my back on him. “Kaitlin please” he said but I ignored him “I’m moving into the school house…permanently” I said to him.

4+ votes for next chapter