Chapter 9

Dad hadn’t come home again that night, when I came in from the party the house was empty, there was no note no nothing but I couldn’t be bothered thinking about it, I was rather drunk so I had a glass of water and went to bed. When I woke up at 8 o’clock I was already late, I scrambled up out of bed and ran into the bathroom, I quickly did my teeth and washed my face and under my arms before washing my hair very quickly. I pulled my skirt on and pulled my black knee high socks up then pulled on my shirt and tie before starting on my hair; I put it in a messy bun on the top of my head then did my make up before walking out the house at 8:40. I walked on my own to school and through the school gates, I quickly scanned round and smiled when I saw Andi sitting alone under a tree “Heya” I said when I went over and sat down in front of her, she smiled and put down her book. “Hey” she said and we hugged each other before I pulled her up off the ground, I linked my arm through her’s and we started walking to the school but she stopped suddenly and looked over to where a radio van had just pulled up. “Is that your mum?” I asked when a lady with short blonde hair climbed out the back, Andi just nodded and pulled me away into the school building going to registration. I walked with Andi into form but she didn’t sit next to me “Alright then” I said as she practically stopped me from sitting beside her, I looked at her then sat down in front of Phoenix and Denzil. “You alright, Kait? You look tired” Denzil said when I turned around to talk to him and Phoenix, I looked at him then put my arms on their desk and my head on my arms. “Kaitlin Byrne” Mr Budgen suddenly called out and I looked up “Here” I said quickly then turned my chair round to face Denzil and Phoenix “I only got in at 2 this morning and I overslept, got ready in half an hour and had no breakfast” I said drearily and put my head on the desk again “New record then?” Denzil said and Phoenix laughed, I looked up and punched Denzil in the arm then rested my head again. I was just about dozing off when Mr Clarkson’s voice suddenly rung out and I jumped up sitting bolt upright causing everyone to laugh. I just sat there as Mr Clarkson’s voice came through the speakers above the board and then a woman’s voice; I recognised her from the Rochdale radio station so I listened to her and smiled when she said about reading something out to the whole of Rochdale. I sat there as Rhona, Shona and Scout started talking about Viv O’Donnell and I laughed when they said about her daughter even though I knew it was about Andi, she’d annoyed me at the start of the lesson. “Right school reports on my desk” Mr Budgen said when the bell went and we all filed out, placing our reports on his desk as we went. “Hey, Kaitlin!” I heard someone shout as I walked with Denzil and Phoenix to the music room to watch Viv do the radio show, I spun round and frowned when I saw Andi “What?” I spat at her and Denzil and Phoenix laughed. “Can I walk with you?” she asked, I looked at her and raised an eyebrow then looked at Denzil and Phoenix. “Oh so now you want me? Let me think about that…Erm no” I said and turned around, walking away with my friends.

I walked into the music room and sat down between Denzil and Shona with Rhona and Phoenix at the end, I glared at Andi as she sat down on the opposite side of the room but I looked away when Viv started talking. We listened as Trudi spoke about an arranged marriage her dad had sorted out then I piped up “Isn’t your daughter still a virgin? I mean that’s what you said on your show the other week” I asked, my eyes wondering to Andi. “Well yes but I don’t see anything wrong with that, 16s still quite young to be having sex but it’s when you think you’re ready that you lose your virginity, obviously my daughter doesn’t think she’s ready yet” Viv said and she smiled at me, I glanced over at Andi then smiled back at Viv as Mr Chalk came into the classroom, informing us that everyone in the school could hear. “Yeah but don’t you think that’s a bit weird? I mean she is 16 as you said, surely she should be ready by now ya know puberty and hormones and that” I said and looked at Denzil who sniggered “Alright maybe we should move on” Mr Clarkson said and Viv nodded, glancing over at Andi. “Alright so first I want to show you a short film about how to get into radio” Viv said and she opened up her laptop, we all looked as it came onto the TV screen behind her “Why’ve you got a picture with that Andi girl as your screensaver?” Denzil said pointing to the screen, I looked at Andi and smirked “So you’re the famous virgin girl then” Emily said and everyone laughed as Andi rushed out followed by Viv and Mr Clarkson. “Did you know?” Denzil asked turning to me, I looked at him then around to see everyone’s eyes were on me. “Yeah, I did, I only found out this morning though when I was with ‘er” I said, “Dunno why I were friends with ‘er to be honest, the frigid wanker” I added and everyone laughed as Mr Clarkson and Viv came back into the room.