Chapter 4

“Right, I’ve got to go in early. You gonna be okay?” dad asked when he came into the kitchen all dressed up in his normal suit “Yeah” I said, I turned back around and carried on typing on my laptop “To Kill a Mocking Bird eh? You’ll be a pro at that soon, know it by ‘eart and everything” dad said, he kissed my head then walked out the house leaving me alone in my pyjama’s with some toast and doing my English coursework.  Once I’d finished my breakfast, I went upstairs and jumped in the shower after cleaning my teeth, I spent about 10 minutes in the shower doing my hair and washing my body before jumping out and quickly drying myself. I couldn’t be bothered with a skirt that day so I squeezed myself into my skinny jeans and pulled my shirt on then ran down stairs to quickly finish my coursework and print it out.

“Just a minute” I shouted when someone knocked on the door, I quickly shoved my coursework in my bag and ran to the door with my bag on my back. “Niice” Kyle said when I opened the door; I hit him on the arm before locking the door and walking out. “Hey baby, guess who’s got the house to themselves tonight?” Kyle said in my ear, he had his arms wrapped round my waist and was walking me along the pavement “I’m guessing you” I said, looking up at him. He grinned and nodded “So tell old Mr Byrne that you’re going round to a friend’s house then come back to mine, deal?” Kyle said, I nodded and kissed him quickly before he walked off and went the long way round to school so my dad or any other teacher didn’t catch us together.

“Aw nice one, Phoenix” I said when he came riding into school on a motorbike, he took his helmet off and I ran over giving him a hug “Happy birthday” I said and passed him a birthday bag and card “Aw, cheers Kaitlin, you didn’t need to get me ought” he said but pulled out the wrapped present and smiled when he saw it was a new Xbox game. “Aw cheers. Hey stick around later and I’ll give you a backy” he said, and put his present in his bag. “I’ll hold you to that” I said before walking inside with Emily when my dad came outside and Scout came over. “So how’s the whole secret relationship going?” Emily asked as we walked inside, arm in arm. “It’s going great yeah; I’m goin’ round ‘is tonight so can I tell my dad I’m at yours?” I asked, Emily looked at me and smiled “Yeah course you can” Emily said and I thanked her as we walked into form, taking our seats beside each other. Once Denzil came inside, he sat in front of me and Emily but turned around to talk to us, none of us were listening to what Mr Clarkson was actually saying since we were deep in conversation. “Kaitlin Byrne” he suddenly shouted out and I looked up “You what?” I said, looking over at Mr Clarkson “Are you here, Miss Byrne?” he asked, I looked at Emily then back at my teacher “Naw sir, I’m ill. I’ve got pneumonia innit” I said and everyone laughed “Don’t be so cheeky, Kaitlin” Mr Clarkson said and went back to the register “Alright, alright. Keep ya hair on, you don’t wanna lose what you’ve still got now” I said causing everyone to laugh again. “You want to be the class clown then, Kaitlin? Taking over Denzil’s job?” Mr Clarkson asked, standing up from his chair “Aw yeah, sir, reckon I’d be a sound class clown, way better than this muppet” I said, pointing at Denzil “Hey” Denzil said and punched my arm lightly “Right, cooler now, Kaitlin” Mr Clarkson said, I got up from my chair and grabbed my bag “Aw you’re proper ‘arsh you” I said and walked out the classroom, going down the corridor and into the cooler. “Alright babe?” Kyle shouted as I walked inside “God we’ve only been in school for 10 minutes and you’re already in ‘ere, new record?” I asked as I took a seat in front of him. “Course babe” he said and we sat there talking until Mr Chalk walked in “Right, you two separate now” he snapped, Kyle sighed and grabbed his bag, moving to the other side of the room.

“What’re those two doing together?” my dad asked Mr Chalk when he walked into the cooler “Well, sir, we both got sent to the cooler and there’s only one cooler so what ya gonna do?” Kyle asked, swinging back on his chair, I looked at him and smirked before looking over at my dad. “Kyle go back to class” dad said “Whatever” Kyle groaned then walked out the room. “Mr Chalk, could you give me and Kaitlin a minute?” dad asked, Chalky walked out and left me alone with my dad. “What can I do for you today, oh dear sweet father of mine?” I sung, smiling as I swung back on my own chair. “Mr Clarkson said you were being cheeky? Acting as the class clown?” dad asked, leaning back against the desk in the room. “Well, someone had to adopt the job, Denzil was doing a terrible job at it” I said a huge, sarcastic smile on my face. “What’s gotten into you, Kaitlin? Why are you going back to your old ways?” he asked, I looked at him and glared. “I’m nothing like I was before” I snapped at him, bringing my chair forwards. “You know what, dad? Screw you” I said and stormed out the cooler going to my first lesson. “And where have you been, Miss Byrne?” Budgen asked as I walked into his lesson “Cooler, sir” I said and walked past him “Ah, ah, ah wait just a moment” he said and I turned around, “Sir?” I asked, raising my eyebrows “Coursework?” he asked, I just sighed and unzipped my bag, I pulled out my coursework and dropped it on his desk “Have fun” I said and walked over to sit with Emily. We spent the whole lesson doing more on To Kill a Mocking Bird then we had Maths with Chalky.

After Maths, I walked with Emily and Denzil to Mr Wilding’s class for his band practise, once we walked into the classroom I went straight in the store cupboard and got my guitar out. “You alright, Chalky, bit lost?” I asked when I walked out to see Mr Chalk walking inside, Emily laughed and I went over to her. “Alright everyone settle down, Mr Chalk is here to learn with you all” Mr Wilding said as he handed out some music sheets “Aw this looks well hard, sir” Emily said, reading through it. “Nonsense, you want hard I can show you hard” I said, and strummed a little on my guitar to check it was still in tune. “Sir can you play?” Scout asked Mr Chalk when we’d all gone quiet “Er, I haven’t played for a while now erm years” Chalky said, nervously. “Aw go on, sir. Can you play err Rihanna?” Scout asked, making everyone laugh a little. “Oh nana what’s ma name?” Scout sang and we all laughed again, “Right, that’s probably not Mr Chalk’s taste now, is it?” Mr Wilding asked, “Aw go on sir, try it” Scout said, “I-I don’t know that song, sorry” Mr Chalk said, “Just play anything sir, come on” I pleaded with him, I did generally want to hear Mr Chalk play, I was just saying it all in a joking way like everyone else. “Go on sir” everyone shouted, we watched as Mr Chalk turned on the amplifier and eventually he started playing the guitar and he was actually really good. We all watched as he played the guitar then was speechless afterwards before we all started clapping.

We spent about 20 minutes in the classroom with Mr Wilding before he let us go out to lunch, I took Emily’s arm and went to get something to eat. “Hey dad!” I shouted when I saw him walk into the canteen “Hey, what’s up?” he asked as he came over “Look, I’m sorry about this morning. I’m just dead tired and I’ve been stressing over my coursework and that” I said, looking up at him. He looked at me then smiled “It’s okay” he said “Hey why don’t you invite Emily round tonight? Get a take away and you can have a movie in your room or something?” dad suggested, I looked at Emily then back at my dad “Erm, actually, Em already asked me if I wanted to go round her’s tonight?” I questioned, I bit my lip a little waiting for an answer “Yeah sure that’s fine” he said, smiling “Thanks dad” I said before he walked off leaving me and Emily to finish our dinner’s. Once we’d finished our dinner, me and Emily met up with Denzil and Scout before walking out onto the field to watch the boys play rugby. “One second” I said to them as the teams came out and Mr Diamond spoke to our team “He didn’t really hit you, did he?” I asked, Vicki and faced her; she turned to me and smiled before shaking her head. “Good, because if ‘e ‘ad then I’d of hit him back 10 times harder” I said, Vicki laughed and we turned back to the field as the kick off started. “Ooh, I dunno ‘bout you but those St. Mary’s lot are pretty fit” I said to Madi, she looked at me and laughed “Tryna get yaself a fella now, Kaitlin?” Madi said and we both started laughing until it all went downhill. Ronan and Finn started fighting and arguing about how he’d hit Vicki when he hadn’t, I just sort of watched as they were pulled apart then Vicki shouted out to everyone that she’d hit him not him hit her. I looked at Madi then at Vicki before walking away and over to Denzil and Emily, I ignored the whole thing and blocked it out as they made up and started the game again.

After the game had finished, everyone was happy since Waterloo Road had won but I stayed for a minute on the field when the boys were walking off. I watched the St. Mary’s lot walk off and caught the eye of a boy with blonde hair looking at me, I smiled at him before walking away and into the school, meet you at the gates xxxx I read a text from Kyle but didn’t reply as I went to my locker and pulled out my bag, I went to meet Emily in case we met my dad on the way out and walked out the school building. When we got out, Kyle wasn’t there so I leant against the gate waiting “Alright, gorgeous?” I heard a voice behind me and smiled turning around, expecting to see Kyle but smiled even more when I saw the blonde boy from before “Hey” I said and gave him a flirty smile “Brandon” he said and stuck out his hand, I put my hand firmly in his and shook it “Kaitlin” I said and let go, I saw out the corner of my eye that Kyle had come out the building but didn’t move away “So erm how about if you ever get lonely, you give us a call yeah?” Brandon said and handed a piece of paper into my home “You’re alright mate; she won’t be getting lonely anytime soon when she has a boyfriend. Beat it” Kyle said, the St. Mary’s lad looked stunned before walking away; I smiled at Kyle and let him put his arm round me, walking me away from the school.

Once we got back to his flat, we dumped our bags at the door and he got us both a drink as I sat in his living room, I turned the TV on and thanked him when he gave me the drink. We sat together for about 5 minutes just talking about anything when he removed the drink from my hand. He put it on the coffee table and pulled me forwards, into his chest. He looked down at me then pressed his lips onto mine, pushing his hands off my waist and up my shirt.