Chapter 3

“Morning love” dad said to me when I walked into the kitchen, I just nodded and sat at the breakfast bar putting my face in my hands. “What is it, Kait?” dad asked, I sighed and looked up at him “She’s one today, dad, it’s her first birthday and I’m not even allowed to spend the day with her” I said, he walked round to me and sat in front of me “Look, Kaitlin, I know it’s been hard on you but you don’t need to worry now. Ashleigh…She’s with better people now, you need to focus on your grades okay” he said, pushing my hair behind my ear “Dad, she’s my daughter, that’s easier said than done” I said, I grabbed my bag and walked out the house slamming the door behind me. I walked along the street and walked into the local paper shop, I quickly walked over to where the cards were and scanned through looking for the right one, I smiled when I saw a pink card with an enormous 1 on the front, picking it up, I pulled my money and went to the check out. “Thank you” I said and paid the man before walking out the shop, I walked over to a wall and quickly wrote inside “Dear Ashleigh, happy birthday baby, I’m sorry I can’t spend it with you but I love you no matter what. Love mum xxx” I quickly wrote a message on the other side of the card including my phone number for her foster parents to call me, I knew where her foster parents house was since they lived on the estate near the school, I quickly ran up to their house and posted the card through the door and ran off before they had a chance to come out.

As I was walking through the estate to the school, I was stopped by a hand on my arm and spun round to see Kyle. “It’s her birthday isn’t it?” he questioned, I looked at him then nodded, Kyle didn’t say a thing he just pulled me to him and wrapped his arms round me. He kept one arm round my shoulder and we walked through the estate to school together. “What you doin’ with ‘im?” Finn spat when he saw me and Kyle together “Just leave it out, Finn” I said and walked off, away from both of them. I hadn’t been walking long and had just made it into the school when I heard Lauren’s voice behind me “Hey, how come you didn’t wait for me?” she asked, I looked at her “Oh, Lauren, I’m sorry, I had to go and do something, I’m sorry I totally forgot we were meeting up” I said and put my hand to my head “Hey it’s okay” Lauren said before she linked arms with me and we walked down the corridor. I looked at Lauren and opened my mouth to tell her where I was but I immediately closed it again, deciding against the idea of bringing up my past. We were walking through the main entrance corridor when I saw a woman with blonde hair walk towards us with Miss Diamond “Who’s that?” Lauren asked, indicating to the woman “Linda Radleigh. Horrible woman to be honest, she knows my dad and I hate her” I said, we watched her walk past with Sian but luckily she didn’t see me so we went down the corridor and said bye when the bell went.

After form, I walked with Denzil and Emily to English with Mr Budgen “So your sister’s home today?” I asked Emily as we walked together “Yeah” she said enthusiastically but we stopped talking as we walked into the classroom, I took my seat next to Denzil with Emily in front, I was talking with them both again but I groaned when Mr Budgen walked into the classroom with Miss Radleigh tailing behind.

It was half way through the lesson and to be honest, none of us were actually listening to Mr Budgen; I didn’t even have a clue what he was talking about. I kept looking over at Linda but then sat up a little when she walked over “I didn’t notice you there, Kaitlin, how you doing?” she whispered to me “Fine” I said back and she walked away, going round to Emily. “So you’re Emily James” I heard Linda say, I turned my attention to them since Budgen was just getting boring now “How d’you know?” Emily asked, looking at her “Just get on with your work” Linda said, she glanced at Budgen then back at Emily “Am I in trouble or something?” Emily asked “I’ve been asked to keep an eye on you, that’s all” “Why? What’ve I done?” “Don’t worry, it’s not you” “Well what is it then?” “Well ya mum called” at this point I’d even got bored of that conversation and just lay my head on the desk, closing my eyes. I’d pretty much half fallen asleep and was only dragged out of it when I felt someone shake me “Come on, Kaits” I looked up and saw Denzil “What?” I asked, rubbing my eyes “Miss Radleigh’s taking the class somewhere” he said, he stood and waited for me as I put my things in my bag and walked out with him, we followed Miss Radleigh down the hall and into the canteen. She got out a load of pots and pans and handed them all out, she made us bang on them to a rhythm as she recited the poem we’d been learning, it was actually pretty fun but once I saw Kyle walk past the window I got distracted. He looked in and started laughing a little before walking up to the door and opening it “Mr Byrne wants to see Kaitlin” Kyle said, Linda nodded and I grabbed my bag before walking out with Kyle. “What’re you doing?” I laughed as we walked down the corridor “I thought we could go out for coffee or something, properly catch up and that” he suggested as we walked out the school building “Alright then” I said and linked my arm through Kyle’s as we walked out the school gates and went along the pavement to the café near the shops. Once we got inside, I went to get a table while Kyle went for the drinks. “There you go” he said and put the mug in front of me as he sat down, “Thank you” I said and smiled at him “Alright then, where do we start?” Kyle asked, letting his hands wrap round the hot mug of coffee “I think we should start again, we never properly spoke at that party did we” I said, Kyle looked at me and smirked a little “Alright then. Hi there, my name is Kyle Stack, I’ve just turned 17 years old and I’m in year 12 at Waterloo Road, On my first day at Waterloo Road I got accused of feeling a girl up when I didn’t then set my dog on her, resulting in my dog being taken away and put down. In my second term there, I met a girl and we started going out, after dating for I don’t know how long, it came out that she had a baby and had left it, I thought the baby was mine and wanted to take responsibility for once but it turned out that her step dad had abusing her and he got arrested and her mother moved her to another school now in my third term I’ve met a girl, a beautiful girl, I went to a party with her last week and I really like her” Kyle concluded, I looked at him then smiled a little “Your turn” Kyle said, “Okay, my name’s Kaitlin Byrne, I’m 16 years old and also go to Waterloo Road, I’m in year 11 and study god knows how many shit subjects. Before I came to Waterloo Road, my dad was stabbed by a guy I thought I was good friends with, once I moved to Waterloo Road, I befriended some people and got annoyed because they only knew me because of my dad but they’re fab and I love them lots, in my second week I met a guy, a handsome guy and went to a party with him. I got jealous because he was dancing with another girl, everyone says this guy is a twat but I think he’s sweet and I really like him too” I said, I watched Kyle as a huge smile spread across his face before he leant over the table and kissed me.