Chapter 12

“Good morning, Kyle” I heard my dad say and smiled when Kyle walked into the living room, I got up off the sofa and kissed him between smiles “So, how about us three go out for dinner tonight? My treat?” dad said, I looked at Kyle and he nodded “Sounds good to me, Michael” Kyle said, I smiled at my dad, I was happy that he was trying to a make an effort with Kyle since he didn’t have to. I grabbed my bag and got into the car with dad and Kyle “Know yet who you’re voting for head girl and boy yet?” my dad asked me on the way in, I adjusted my mirror and looked back at Kyle “I don’t really know yet, I think Madi and probably Finn” I said and I saw Kyle’s eyes flicker to mine then away again. “Have you decided yet, Kyle?” dad asked, he himself looked through the mirror at Kyle “No not yet” Kyle said, we drove the rest of the way in silence and as soon as we parked up, I jumped out the car with Kyle and practically dragged him inside. “Oh won’t be a sec, Kyle, I need to get something off Maggie” I said and pulled him through the corridor and into the canteen “Oh not more of that Candora bollocks, babe you’re beautiful as you are, you don’t need no cosmetic stuff” Kyle said but he didn’t protest as I dragged him over Maggie “Ah, Kaitlin, guessing you’re here for the new catalogue?” Maggie asked and I nodded, pulling Kyle forwards, she turned around rummaged through her box and pulled out a booklet “Thanks Maggie” I said and put it in my bag “Erm actually do you have any of that shampoo and conditioner that I bought off you the other week? Mine’s all run out” I said, Maggie nodded and turned around again, going through her box “Aha, that’ll be 15 pounds please love” Maggie said, I handed her the money and put the bottles in my bag before taking Kyle’s hand and walked out the canteen. We were about to go and find Tariq but I froze when I saw Finn, I looked at Kyle “Go and talk to him” he said, I just stared at him before dropping his hand and going over “Oh what do you want?” Finn spat at me and went to turn away, I grabbed his arm and turned him round again “Look, Finn, I’m sorry about last week. Please, it were a mistake” I pleaded my case but he wasn’t having any of it, Finn pulled his arm away and stalked off with Trudi. “Ignore him, babe, he ain’t worth it” Kyle said to me and wrapped his arms round my waist, I smiled and kissed him before walking down the corridor with him to find Tariq. When we couldn’t find him I pulled Kyle’s phone out his pocket and dialled Tariq’s number, I sighed when he didn’t pick up so left a message “Hey, Tariq. It’s Kaitlin, me and Kyle were wondering where you’d got to. We were getting a little worried” I said through the answer machine then hung up and passed Kyle his phone back.

“Right, here’s a list of words that are now banned in the school, take the letter, read it through and remember it” Budgen groaned at us at the start of English as he handed out a sheet of yellow, I took it off him and looked beside me at Scout “Aw what? That’s bang out of order” I said and crumpled the piece of paper up into a ball “And thank you Kaitlin for giving us an example of one of the banned words. Cooler now” Budgen snapped at me, I looked at my friend “Are you for real?” I asked, thinking he was having a laugh or something “COOLER NOW!” he shouted at me, I sighed and grabbed my bag before walking out the room, down the corridor and into the cooler. “You as well?” Kyle asked when I walked in, I smiled and sat down next to him “Yup, cause I said this whole thing was bang out of order, this is pathetic” I said and put my feet up against the edge of the desk, leaning back on my chair “You too, Denz? And Zack, my, my, my didn’t think we’d see you in here Zack” I said to Madi’s little brother “I only got done for doing a stupid handshake with Phoenix” Denzil said, I looked at Kyle and he rolled his eyes before he looked up to see Chalky walk in “Now we all know why we’re here, to stop gang culture in the school” Chalky said and handed a pile of paper and pens to a girl at the front and told her to pass them round “Sir, you know nothing about gangs” Kyle said and leant back even more in his chair, putting his arm round the back of mine. “Well I know that yours two red laces symbolise The Dale Sken Crew” Chalky said walking over to us both “What’s ya point?” I asked looking up at my maths teacher, I sat back even more not even listening to Chalky as he told everyone “facts” about the DSC. “Ya know Mr Chalk? Ya might be right, I don’t need to advertise who I am” Kyle said and he brought his feet back and started undoing his laces “Come on, Kaitlin, you too” Kyle said, slapping my arm lightly “Yeah, I would but if I take my laces off, my shoes’ll be too big” I said to him and everyone laughed, Kyle smiled and carried on undoing his laces. I watched Kyle doing what he was doing but looked up when I heard my dad’s voice; he stared at me for a second then carried on with his conversation with Chalky.