Chapter 19

It had been nearly 2 weeks now; I hadn’t been into school since Kyle got kicked out, I was numb but still in pain after the whole thing and today was the day I was returning. My dad had managed to get me a bigger shirt over the weekend since my bump was starting to show a little bit more now and neither me nor dad wanted anyone to know yet. “Are you coming in with me?” my dad asked when I walked into the kitchen and put some toast on “No, Denzil’s calling for me” I said, my dad nodded and kissed my head before walking out the house. After about 15 minutes there was a knock on the door and I smiled when I saw Denzil “You ready?” he asked, I nodded and grabbed my bag and walked out the house with him. “What’s this?” Denzil asked as we joined the back of a rather large queue into school “Dad’s new policy, bodyguard on the gate, no mobile phones during school hours. There was no point in me even getting a new blackberry” I said and held out my phone, I watched as Denzil groaned in annoyance then took a bag off my dad as he came round “Give us a pen would ya?” I said to Denzil as I dropped my new phone into the bag, Denzil handed me a pen and I wrote The heads beloved daughter on the front and handed the pen back. We waited for about 5 minutes until we got to the gate “Byrne” I said to the man at the gate and watched as he flicked through his papers, I sighed and took it off him finding my name in about a minute “It’s B, second letter of the alphabet mate, it ain’t that hard to find” I said and gave him the papers back before I placed my phone in the box and walked inside the gate and waited for Denzil then walked across the car park and into school.

“Did you make the team?” I asked Denzil as he walked out the changing room, he smiled at me then nodded his head “Aw well done babe, I knew you would!” I exclaimed and hugged him; I kissed his cheek and hugged him again. “God are you two dating or what?” I heard Phoenix say and removed my arms from round Denzil’s neck “Ha ha, no we’re not dating” I said to Phoenix then walked away and up to the common room. When the first bell went, I walked down to Science on my own, I sat with Denzil as normal as Miss Diamond explained what we were going to do. I turned to Denzil and we had an argument about who would win Britain’s got Talent, Ryan O'Shaughnessy – who I wanted to win – or Ashleigh and Pudsey – who Denzil wanted to win. After a double period of Science, I left Denzil with Phoenix and went upstairs to the common room; I walked in to see a woman setting something up. “Morning” she said cheerfully and looked up at me, I smiled and put my bag on the sofa “Lorraine Donnegan” she said and held out her hand “Kaitlin Byrne” I said and shook her hand, she looked at me and smiled “Ah so you’re the famous daughter Michael’s been telling me about” she said, I laughed and listened as she explained what she was here to do.

“What’re you doing here?” I snapped at Kyle as he walked into the common room “Alright babe, thought about taking me back yet?” he said and sat down on the sofa “In your dreams, you shouldn’t be here Kyle” I snapped at him, I turned around and went to walk out when the door opened again and Lauren, Madi, Tariq and my dad came in. Kyle stood up and was about to leave when Lorraine piped up “He stole my credit card” my dad spun him around “Exclusion means exclusion” my dad snapped at him, Kyle spat in his face and then was pushed back against the wall, my dad searched through his pockets and pulled out a credit card then dragged him out into the corridor. “Are you alright?” Tariq asked me when I walked over; “Fine” I snapped and sat back down on the sofa with Lauren and Madi.

“Hey d’you wanna come round mine tomorrow? We can get a take away and watch a film or something?” Denzil asked me at break time, I looked at him and smiled sympathetically “I can’t, I’m at my mum’s tomorrow” I told him he just nodded, obviously disappointed “Actually…Come with me” I said and took his hand, running up the stairs to my dad’s office. “Dad can I use your phone?” I asked, barging into his office, he looked at me and sighed then nodded. “Hey mum, it’s Kaitlin. I was wondering if my friend, Denzil, could come round with me tomorrow?” I asked down the phone, I looked up and saw my dad watching me but I turned my back on him and leant against the desk “Is that the one I met the other week? Dark coloured one?” she asked “Yeah” I said and looked over at Denzil “Course he can” “Aw thanks mum, love you” I said down the phone and hung up. I put the phone back and went to walk out with Denzil “You two have gotten pretty close I see” my dad said and I turned around to see him working on some paperwork “We were always close” I shrugged and opened the door before walking out and going down to English. “Sorry we’re late sir, I had to use my dad’s phone for something” I said to Tom, he nodded and I sat down in front of Denzil and Phoenix, starting the work. We’d been working for about 20 minutes when Phoenix and Scout started arguing and we had to give out some answers “The main reason for gang culture sir, it’s peer pressure and the pressure to fit in with everyone else. If all of your friends are acting around as if they’re in a gang or if they are in a gang you’re more likely to copy them so that you can fit in” I said, Mr Clarkson looked at me and smiled “Well done, Kaitlin, that’s a great answer” Mr Clarkson said, I turned around when I heard Phoenix object to what I was saying and eventually he got sent to the cooler after saying some racist stuff to Danilo.