Chapter 6

“Hiya, Kaitlin” Madi said enthusiastically when I opened the door to her smiling face “Erm hi?” I said, confused as to why she was here. “Can I erm help you with something?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Thought you might wanna walk with me and Zack” she said, I stared at her then down at Zack, “Can’t, walking with Tariq” I said and nodded behind them as Tariq and Trudi walked across the road “Oh” Madi said and turned around “Sorry, maybe tomorrow” I shouted after her but she was already gone, I sighed and grabbed my bag before walking out the house with Tariq and Trudi. “I’m gonna go to the shop, you want ought?” Tariq said as we walked in through the estate shops “I’ll come in, I wanna drink” I said and walked inside with him. We’d only been in the shop for about 5 minutes but we walked out to see two lads on bikes chatting Trudi up “Yo, what’s goin’ on?” Tariq said as we walked over, “These 2 were just about to go, weren’t ya guys?” Trudi said to the two lads, they opened their mouth to speak then noticed me “Aha, Kaitlin Byrne” the boy with his hood down said “Alright, Craig” I said to him and gave him the usual “clap sign” that I used to do with him before “Who’s that?” Tariq asked as we walked away, I looked at him a little confused “Don’t you remember Craig? He were friends wi’ Wayne?” I said, pretty much ignoring Trudi’s presence as we walked, he stuck his bottom lip out and shook his head, I just shrugged and carried on walking with them.

“Aye, did you ‘ear about Wayne actually?” Tariq said as we walked through the gates, I watched Trudi walk away from us then turned my attention to Tariq “No? Wha’ ‘appened?” I asked, looking at him with concern. “’e’s unconscious in ‘ospital” Tariq said and I stopped “You what?” I asked “Got run over, he’s in hospital. Didn’t ya dad tell ya?” “No he didn’t” and I stormed off into school, I ran up the steps and banged the reception door open, ignored Janeece’s protests and walked straight into dad’s office. “Why didn’t you tell me about Wayne?!” I snapped at him the second I’d yanked the door open, “Kaitlin, look, why-why don’t you sit down?” dad said, “I don’t want to sit down, I want to know why you didn’t fucking tell me!” I shouted at him. Ignoring the fact that Janeece was sat next to me and could hear everything being said. “I didn’t want to worry you with it, Kait” he said, calmly. I glared at him then stormed out the office after slamming his office door shut. I stormed down the stairs and through the corridor, I quickly ran down to where the common room was for years 12 and 13 “Hey, Kaitlin, what you doing here?” Lauren asked and ran over, giving me a hug. “Is Madi around?” I asked, looking round “I’m right here” I heard her say behind me, I turned around then watched her walk inside “Hey I heard about you getting mugged, if you need anything just come find me, yeah?” I said to her then walked into the common room with Lauren, “Who was it who mugged you?” Finn asked, I laughed a little as Ronan pulled me onto his knee and bounced me up and down like a little kid “Erm I dunno, just some lads on BMX’s” Madi said, I looked up and over at Trudi, widening my eyes a little and shaking my head ever so slightly. “BMX’s? Sounds like the lads who came over to me this morning” Trudi said, ignoring my gestures not to say anything “Kaitlin knows one of them” she added, “Ya know next time Trudi, don’t ignore my gesture’s for you to fucking stop. Sorry Madi, I love you and everything but I ain’t a grass and I’ve learnt not to grass on the likes of that boy, I’m sorry” I said and walked out the common room, going to my first lesson which was Maths. I walked straight in and sat down next to Phoenix, he pretty much ignored me and kept looking over at Scout not that I was bothered, “Aw sir, ‘e’s well cute” I said when Mr Chalk walked in with a rabbit “Isn’t he just? This is Roger and he’ll be joining us today. See Roger is here to learn just like you guys are and today he’s here to learn the likes of ALGEBRA! Now get ya books out” Chalky said and we all groaned since we’d been doing algebra all week.

Maths had been boring as fuck since Phoenix wasn’t talking all lesson so the second the bell went I packed my bag and raced out the room, I was going along the corridor to meet Kyle when I heard my name being shouted “Kaitlin!” Mr Diamond shouted from in the hall, I pulled the door open and walked in “Sup sir?” I asked, folding my arms. “Why don’t you come and join our boxing class? You can never be too careful out on the streets” he said, I looked over at Madi then back at Mr Diamond “Nah you’re alright sir, all the boys on the estate’s round ‘ere are scared of me anyway, don’t need no self-defence crap” I said, causing basically everyone to laugh before I walked back out the hall and went up the steps, along the corridor and up more steps. I looked behind me before quickly pushing the door open into the boys changing room, smiling when I saw Kyle. “’Iya baby” he said and walked over to me, wrapping his arms round me, pressing his lips on mine. We’d been in the changing room for about 20 minutes when the door suddenly banged open “Aw what’s ‘e doin’ in ‘ere?” Finn said when he saw Kyle, I looked at Finn then at Kyle “Aw get out, Kaitlin, we needa get ready ya know, me and Tariq yeah? We gone find them lads who went for Madi” Finn said, I looked at him and watched his body language “Why you acting like a twat?” I asked and everyone laughed before I walked out the changing rooms “I’ll catch you later” Kyle said then quickly kissed me after checking nobody was around. I waited for a few minutes then looked up when the doors opened again and Tariq came out “You mad, Tariq? Going after Craig, he’ll fucking bang ya” I said, Tariq looked at me and sighed “I know but I kind of have a plan” he said, I looked at him unimpressed “Tariq, this is Craig we’re talking about, you might not remember him but he’s trouble” I said “Just-just don’t get hurt for goodness sake cause I still ain’t grassing him for mugging Madi, he was a mate before Madi was” I sighed then walked away to my next lesson.