S-Sign Launguage

Mortal au

Nico's P.O.V.

    I hate hate hate hate school. Especially the first day. As I was shuffling my way to school, I bumped into somebody.
    I stumbled. I glared at the guy who crashed into me. He stood there, uncomfortable.
    "Jesus," I spat. "You could at least day excuse me."
    The boy brushed at his hair, annoyed. Then he made a flurry of hand motions that resembled something.
    Oh. He was mute.
    I'm an idiot. I just snapped at a mute guy to say excuse me.
    "Sorry," I blushed, fiddling with my hands. "Do you want me to walk with you to school? You are going to Western River High, right?"
    The boy nodded. I gulped and started walking. He followed me.
    The walk was very awkward. I didn't talk, and it was physically impossible for him to.
    A green haired girl was pacing worriedly in front of the school when we got there. Her face crumpled in relief when she saw us.
    "Ohmygod Will!" the girl exclaimed. "I know you told me you could walk by yourself, but I was still worried sick."
    Will signed something. The girl laughed and responded with signs, which I didn't get because obviously the boy could hear.
    "Sorry," the girl said. "I'm Kayla. Will's half sister and kinda sorta caretaker, but neither of us like that term." She laughed. "And yeah, this is Will Solace."
    Will signed something.
    "He wants to know if you guys wanted to hang out," Kayla translated. Will blushed.
    "Sure," I nodded. "That'd be cool." The first bell rang and I waved to the two.
    "Bye Kayla. Bye Will."
    I was thinking about Will the whole day. At study hall, I went to the school library and checked out every single book about signing.
    In my 5th period math class, I saw Will. He looked embarrassed, and the whole class was staring at him.
    I waved him over and pointed to the seat next to me.
    "Sit," I told him. He smiled gratefully and obliged. The teacher then started his lesson. But that didn't stop people from looking at us.
    As I was about to lose my mind on my rude classmates, the teacher spoke.
    "Mr. Solace?" he asked. "Mr. Will Solace, are you here?" Will raised his hand. "Ah, I see you."
    He cleared his throat.
    "Now Will, what is the solution to 1,309-x= 374?" Will smiled and signed something.
    "Please Will, cut the shenanigans. Answer the question." Will gritted his teeth, and signed something.
    "Mr. Solace, I am not joking. Cut the hand motions, and respond to the equation," snapped the teacher.
    Will was getting agitated. He was about to start crying. I saw it.
    "Mr. Podeki," I said. "Will is mute. He can't talk."
    The teacher's face twisted with confusion.
    "Well Mr..." he checked a sheet of paper. "Mr. di Angelo, are you his translator?"
    "I've taken it upon myself to learn ASL, but Kayla, Will's half sister is really the one fit for the job," I explained truthfully, surprised at my own words.
    Will beamed. Mr. Podeki scoffed.
    "Well, in my class, you can translate. I don't expect you to be perfect (perfect just translated to Percy it's a sign) but try your hardest."
    "Yes sir," I mumbled. Will punched me happily and playfully and made a motion from his chin to his stomach.
    I knew this meant thank you. I nodded at him, grinning.

      ------------------------------------------

    After talking with Kayla, and her agreeing to it, I spent all my free time learning ASL. Will sometimes helped me. (Okay, actually he helped me a lot, but whatever.)
    I soon was signing words without looking at a book, or anything to help me. I was having real conversations with Will.
    Half way through the year, after I had mastered the art of sign language, Will asked me on a date.
    I said yes.
    College came and went. We were in our 20s. We had an apartment together. I proposed.
    He said yes.
    Now I'm standing at the altar.
    "I do," I said, signing at the same time.
    A tear traced down Will's face as he also signed those words.
    We kissed. Everybody cheered. Kayla brushed a tear out of her eye.
    We pulled away and Will signed,
    I LOVE YOU.