Chapter 1

Alexander shivered, the cold air making goose bumps pop out all over his body. Rubbing his arms, he walked up to the main desk.

"Um, hi, I'm Alexander Hamilton. I'm new here." He managed to say through his shaking teeth.

The woman peered up from her laptop and inspected the boy's face before taking what seemed to be five papers out of a drawer.

"Here's your schedule and other things you need to know. We've got a sophomore waiting at the bike racks outside for you. She'll help you find your way around." The women said quickly, and without a second glance went back onto her computer.

Alexander turned on his heel, clutching the papers close to his chest. He stepped outside, and sighed in relief, grateful to be in the summer heat inside of the freezing cold building. He turned towards the bike racks, only to see a short girl with brown curly hair on her phone.

'That must be her.' He thought, his heart pounding in his chest as he walked towards the girl.

"Hi, I'm Alexander Hamilton, you're supposed to be helping me today?" He asked, and saw the girl looked up from her phone.

"Ah, yes, Alexander. I'm Maria Reynolds. Sophomore. Majoring in business. Most importantly, lesbian, so don't even think about it." She said, smiling at the boy. Although taken aback at how forward Maria was, Alexander laughed at her sassy attitude.

Maria began to walk, and Alexander quickly followed. Maria quickly took his schedule out of his hands and read over it.

"Damn, you're studying law, huh? Have fun over there; the place is packed with prissy little schoolboys that can't keep anything inside of their pants. The only nice law guy I know, and I know a lot, is Aaron Burr. He's very charming, to be honest." Alexander listened to the girl talk about all the people at Kings College. He listened intently as she talked about Thomas Jefferson and his "crew", who, she said, were just friends with him so they didn't get beat up. He laughed as she talked about how smart the Schuyler sisters were, and how she would love to take the youngest one on a date.

Before he knew it, Maria had led Alexander to his dorm.

"Here's your home from now until the end of the year. Your dorm mate should be in there. If you need anything, just give me a call, I wrote my number at the bottom of your schedule." Maria said and she walked away, her brown curls bouncing.

Alexander breathed heavily, and slowly put his key into the door, twisted it, and opened it. Alexander turned his head only to see one of the most beautiful human beings he had ever seen in his life.

The boy had beautiful dark brown curls that fell just at his shoulders. His eyebrows were knitted in concentration as he typed at a rapid speed on his laptop. His eyes were the color of caramel and it seemed as though the light inside of them danced. His beautiful lips kept moving as if he was saying every word that he was typing. He had what seemed to be hundreds of freckles scattered on his face as if they were each stars and he was a universe. Alexander glanced down at his hands, which seemed to be crafted by god himself. They looked strong and sturdy, and perfect for holding. The boy himself seemed to be handmade by god.

"Hello? Are you alright?" Alexander snapped back into reality as he heard the boy speaking to him.

"Oh, um, so sorry, I'm just tired." He lied. "I'm Alexander Hamilton, your dorm mate."

"Oh, that's who Maria was texting me about. Well, I'm John Laurens." John grinned, and Alexander felt a blush rise on his cheeks.

"Well, unpack your stuff, dude, the place is yours!" John laughed, and Alexander soon found himself placing his few belongings in the drawers and on the desk. He folded his last shirt when someone tapped him on the shoulder. John.

"I'm going to hang out with my friends, want to come? I can introduce you to everyone." John asked, and Alexander nodded, excited to have new friends. A moment later they were on their way to someone named Hercules's apartment. Alexander's hands started shaking as John knocked on the door. What if no one liked him? What if they thought he was crazy? What if-

"John! So nice to see you, man! How are the turtles?" a rather large man asked John. Meanwhile, Alexander hid behind John, considering the fact that John had to be at least 3 inches taller than him. The large man soon took noticed of Alexander.

"Who is this little guy John?" the man asked, whom he had now guessed was Hercules, considering that's what John kept calling him.

"I'm Alexander Hamilton. I'm John's dorm mate. I'm new." Alexander said before John had a chance to speak. John laughed at Alexander's sudden braveness, as he had thought the boy was shy.

"Well, Alexander, come on in and I'll introduce you to everyone." John and Alexander followed the large man inside into the living room, where everyone was sitting. John and Hercules took a seat, leaving Alexander at the doorway.

"Hi, everyone, I'm Alexander Hamilton, I'm new here." He quickly said.

"We'll start with you Angie, and then we'll go clockwise," John said, and the girl laughed at his strict orders.

"Hi, I'm Angelica Schuyler. I'm a junior, and I'm majoring in literature."

"Hello, Alexander! I'm Elizabeth Schuyler, but please do call me Eliza. I'm a freshman and I'm majoring in acting."

"Hello! I'm Peggy Schuyler, the youngest of the "Schuyler sisters". I'm a freshman, and before you ask, I skipped the fourth grade. I'm majoring in psychology."

"Bonjour, mon amie! I am Marquis de Lafayette, but you can call me Lafayette. I am a sophomore, and I am majoring in architecture."

"Sup' man, I'm Hercules Mulligan. I'm a sophomore, and I'm majoring in history."

"Hey, I'm John Laurens, obviously. Um, I'm a freshman and I'm majoring in biology."

"Hello, I'm Aaron Burr. I'm a sophomore and I'm majoring in law."

"So, who's up for some football?"

later at night

"No, no, no, no, no, no," Alexander muttered under his breath, as the thunder roared. Lightning lit up the sky, making Alexander shut his eyes even tighter.

*flashback*

"Alex, watch out!" someone screamed, but it was too late, as Alexander was already submerged under the water, his clothes clinging to his skin. He swam up to the surface, and gasped, all the while looking for James.

"James! James! Where are you?" he screamed, tears streaming down his face. He was not going to let his brother die. Not today.

"Alex! Alex! Help!" Alexander heard a distant cry, in what he recognized to be his brother's voice. He turned around and swam towards the direction of the screams, struggling to keep his head above the water. He reached for his brother's hand, holding it tightly as they floated in the murky water.

*flashback finished*

"No!" Alexander screamed, shooting up from his bed, his head throbbing.

"Alex, are you alright? What's wrong?" Alexander heard John speak softly to him from the side of his bed.

"Storm...I can't...I don't..." Alexander couldn't seem to talk.

"Shhhh, it's okay, I'm here. I'll sleep with you okay?" John said softly, crawling next to Alexander and wrapping his arms around the boy's small frame. Alexander turned around so that his head was buried in John's chest. They both sighed heavily and closed their eyes.

And for the first time in years, Alexander felt safe.