Chapter 10

Chapter 10

When Brindle woke twenty minutes later; she was stretched out on the couch with both Marcus and her Uncle watching her, concern on their faces.  She sighed and tried to sit up, but both men said she should be still and rest a little longer.  She did as she was told and looked at them for a moment wondering if they were going to ask her about what had happened.

Father Adrian held Brindles’ hand patting it now and then letting her know he was concerned.  “Bree,” he began.  “Marcus told me what happened, with Kendrick that is.”  She nodded not quite knowing how to respond to what he’d said, she hadn’t wanted her Uncle to be involved in any of this and because of her, he’d become a potential target.

“You’re alright though Uncle Adrian, aren’t you?” she asked.

“Bree I’m fine, honestly you got me out of here so quickly there wasn’t a chance of Kendrick touching me.” 

Brindle seemed astounded at what she’d done in regards to getting her Uncle to safety and for a second it showed on her face, then her lips curled and a grin replaced it.

Brindles’ grin disappeared as she said, “What I did was a bit of a shock to be honest; I’ve never teleported a person before… I umm… I wasn’t sure I was strong enough to do it.  I’m sorry Uncle Adrian I just couldn’t think what else to do, I wanted to make sure you were safe.”

“You did good Bree, you transported me to the gym so I was out of harm’s way, but I have to say I was very concerned about you and wanted to run back here and help.”  He put up a hand to stop her from speaking and continued.  “I stayed there Bree because I realised I’d be in the way, if I didn’t stay I’d have distracted you, put more pressure on you to keep me safe and you wouldn’t have been able to deal with him.”

Brindle sighed and smiled at her Uncle again.  “As I said, Marcus told me what happened here Bree and although what he told me scared the hell out of me, I’m also very proud of you, of what you were able to do.”  Then Father Adrian hugged his niece wanting, needing the physical contact with her.  She was his only family and he knew just how close he’d come to losing her, not to death… but to something far worse.

Brindle sat up then and looked to her Guardian, “He’s really gone Marcus… right?” 

Marcus nodded, “Yes little one, you banished him to the depths of hell I believe,” and he grinned at her knowingly. 

“What… really?”  She said.  

Marcus looked at her closely, “Do you not remember what was said just before you…” 

“Passed out Marcus, I passed out; it’s okay to say it.”

“You are quite possibly in shock little one, it will pass and you will then remember everything more clearly.”

There was silence for a moment then Brindle nodded and went on, “I know everything’s a little fuzzy.  But I did it Marcus, didn’t I and I did it alone!”

“Yes little one you did it and all concerned are both relieved and in awe of what you have achieved.” 

Brindle looked Marcus directly in the eye and asked, “Who’s ‘all’?” 

To which Marcus smiled and shook his head as if to say in time little one, in time.  Brindle rolled her eyes knowing exactly what he meant and stashed it away under the growing list of things she wanted to discuss with him at some stage. 

“How come I passed out?  I mean I’m a lot stronger now and I had protection, we all did.” 

Father Adrian sat next to his niece on the couch and gave her his theory.  “Bree when you consider everything that’s happened to you lately, not just the physical changes, but the knowledge and everything else, is it any wonder that you passed out. From what Marcus told me, after what you just did you should be completely exhausted.  You would have had to utilise a good deal of energy to move me to the gym and back, not to mention calling nature to help you and then sending that, that ‘thing’ back to hell.”