» snow «

Don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay
But I know I had the best day with you today

****
November 23, 2014
****

Olivia awoke as the light shined in her eyes. The sun peaked through the window. It was brighter than usual, almost blinding. She stood from her and Tom's bed, where he lay sound asleep, to see why it was so bright. She went to the larger window and was instantly aware of why outside was so much brighter than normal. The Boston ground was covered in snow, and a lot of it. She couldn't see the grass blades poking out from under it. She couldn't remember the last time there was this much snow to start the winter season.

Olivia left her spot at the window and went to Scout's room. The girl was squirming in her toddler bed. Olivia slowly crouched down to her nearly awake daughter's height. She began rubbing the hair out of her eyes, which slowly opened with every touch.

"Good morning," Olivia said in her motherly voice. Scout smiled at Olivia. "Look out your window," Olivia said, returning the smile to Scout. Scout hopped out of her bed energetically to the window across her room.

"Mommy! It snowed!" Scout said jumping up and down giddy with joy.

"I know! I thought we could wake daddy up and go play outside in it," Olivia suggested, standing back up from her crouched position. The jubilant toddler ran off to Tom and Olivia's room to wake her sleeping dad. Olivia got to the room just as Scout began jumping on Tom.

"Daddy! Daddy! It snowed!" she squealed. Tom and Olivia tried to raise her like how they were raised, spending their days outside and using their imagination. Scout loved the snow.

"Honey, but it's so early," Tom groaned slowly sitting up in the king size bed. Olivia walked over to the bed. "Was this your idea?" he asked with a scratchy voice.

"Maybeeeeee," Olivia stifled her giggle. She was close enough that Tom could wrap his large arm around her and pull her into his lap. "Scout! Help!" Olivia joked. Scout climbed into the bed to save Olivia, but Tom quickly grabbed her too.

"Why do we have to go outside so early, munchkin?" Tom asked in a deep and playful voice, tickling Scout's stomach.

"Tell daddy to get his lazy bones out of bed," Olivia said, her long tan legs laying over Tom.

"Daddy, we have to go outside before you go to practice," Scout whined. Tom thought about this.

"Okay, fine. Let's go. Last one outside has to make hot chocolate afterwards," Tom said, letting his competitive side slip out as he ran from the bedroom. Olivia rolled her eyes, as she was the last one to leave the bedroom and already claiming her last place prize.

Scout dressed in her snow pants and coat by herself, proving to Tom and Olivia just how old she has gotten. A pang of sadness overcame Olivia now noting how old Scout has gotten. Her hair was much longer and her face and legs weren't as chubby as they used to be. Soon enough though she would have another baby cradled in her arms to fill the void of her first baby growing up.

The family of three got right to work outside

The family of three got right to work outside. Olivia and Scout were rolling the bottom part of the snowman as Tom worked precisely on the top two parts. They found a central spot in the middle of the spacious backyard to put their new friend. Tom loaded the top two parts in top of Olivia and a Scouts circle. "Mommy, Can I put my scarf in him? He's cold," Scout said. She touched the snowman and quickly realized how cold he was. Olivia nodded.

Tom lifted Scout onto his shoulders so she could reach the tall snow mans neck. She reached as far as she could to warm the snowman. She smiled at her work, successfully warming up the snowman. Tom removed her from his shoulders and placed her back into the deep snow.

They had been outside for hours and Scout's cheeks turned a rosy red. "Are you ready to go in Bugs? Daddy has to go to practice soon," Olivia asked.

"Awwwe," Scout pouted. Tom scooped her up from behind and ran to the house with her. Olivia followed behind, not opting to run like her quarterback husband. She removed her snow gear, which she figured would get used a lot this winter, and went into the hot chocolate that she promised she would make.

The tall man came into the kitchen. "Coach just called, practice is cancelled, apparently the roads are too bad outside," Tom said putting his cell phone back in his pocket.

"So you can spend the rest of the day with us?" Olivia asked mixing the hot water with the packet of hot chocolate.

"Yup. I'm all yours," Tom said rubbing his hands together to warm them up. He hadn't realized how cold he was until he came into the warmth of their home.

"Well, then maybe we can get the fireplace going and watch a movie as a family," Olivia said in a low voice. She put the three mugs of hot chocolate on a tray. Tom never thought she would say those three words to him again. As a family.

"That sounds great," Tom said stopping her from walking out of the kitchen. He pulled her close so that their faces were close to touching. Tom closed the gap between their lips. "I love you," he said just above a whisper.

"I love you too," Olivia said slowly. She finally felt comfortable saying it back to him and it filled her with joy. Her world, that was turned upside down two months ago, finally seemed right side up.

Tom put Scout's favorite movie on, Frozen. The girl was worn out from all of the fresh air from playing outside for so long. She sat between Tom and Olivia, all snuggled into their plush white couch. "Best day ever," she yawned before falling asleep. Tom ruffled her hair before her eyes finally fluttered asleep.

Tom and Olivia shared a knowing smile. Scout was right, this was the best day ever.

Let me know what you think! Also if you haven't yet, I would love it you all checked out my Julian Edelman book, Amnesia. And also my Rants and Raves book!