» texting «

He belongs to me
The boy is mine

****
September 25, 2014
****

Olivia and Tom were leaving the Doctor's office. Olivia had been right all along, she was just two months pregnant. The fall air was starting to make its presence, but the sun was shining making it warm outside. They had just stepped foot onto the hot pavement when Tom pulled his phone out of his khaki pants. Olivia hadn't heard it ring or buzz. "Who are you texting?" Olivia asked peering over his shoulder. One of his hands held the phone, the other held her hand guiding her to the Ranger Rover. He walked slightly ahead of her.

"Chloe," Tom said. Olivia's heart sunk. Why was he texting her?

"Why?" Olivia asked sounding more angry than she intended. She was offended that Tom was texting Chloe rather than talking to her.

"I'm checking on Scout," Tom said haugtily. Olivia squeezed his hand, reminding him she was still there.

"Well is she okay?" Olivia asked concerned. She felt guilty about leaving Scout again but Tom insisted that they go alone. Tom smiled at his phone. Olivia couldn't see what it said because of the glare coming down from the sun. Maybe that was a good thing, maybe she didn't want to know.

"Yeah, she's fine," Tom said. He tried to hide his smile but he didn't succeed. Olivia saw the corners of his lips turn up slightly.

"Okay, so can you stop texting her? And just be with me?" Olivia asked once they finally reached the car in the parking lot. She got into the car and the black leather seats quickly filled her with warmth, burning from the Boston sun.

"What's the big deal?" Tom asked buckling his seatbelt. What's the big deal? The big deal is that you are more interested in this 21 year old girl than your pregnant wife. Olivia thought. She wouldn't say it though, she didn't want to start a fight. She ignored his question. He put the car in drive. The tension was unbearable and uncomfortable. How did this couple, who loved each other so passionately, grow apart so fast? They were having another baby for God's sakes and Tom couldn't even give her the time of day. "Are we getting lunch?" Tom asked with anger. He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel impatiently waiting an answer.

"No, just take me home," Olivia said crossing her arms. The car was quiet, the radio was turned off and the only sound was Tom's tapping fingers.

"What's the problem now?" Tom asked frustratedly. He stopped tapping his fingers and the car became silent.

"Nothing," Olivia said shortly.

"Fine," Tom said hitting his hand on the steering wheel in frustration. The car moved in silence for a while. Neither of them spoke or looked at each other.

"They need me in New York next week," Olivia mumbled. She was looking down at her phone and scrolling through her email.

"We were just there all off season how could they need you already?" Tom asked looking at his wife with sullen eyes. He could feel her slipping trough his fingers. Maybe she wasn't slipping though, maybe she was running.

"They just need me," Olivia snapped.

"Are you taking Scout?" Tom asked. Olivia shrugged. She hadn't thought that far ahead. They didn't need her in New York, she needed them. She desperately needed to remove herself from this hostile situation and clear her head.

"If I take Scout will Chloe go home?" Olivia said near a whisper.

"Olivia. She lives with us now. Our house is her home," Tom raised his voice. Olivia shifted in her seat to face the window rather than forward so she didn't have to look at Tom anymore. Tom noticed this, and wondered if she was crying. She wasn't but she bit her cheek to prevent from crying. Tom contemplated staying quiet but he couldn't. He was sick of holding back his feelings. "Are you really that insecure in our relationship?" Tom asked in fear of his answer. Olivia shook her head. Not to answer his question but in frustration.

The car gracefully pulled into the driveway. They walked up the stone driveway side by side, not making a sound. Olivia's arms crossed over her small chest as Tom opened the door for her. She redirected her eyes to him, they showed sadness and desperation.

Olivia went to her and Tom's room. The room used to be her favorite room in the house. They filled it with love and light. It now seemed lonely and dark. Olivia made her way towards the wooden dresser that sat up against the far wall. On top of the dresser, there were pictures lined up. Each one held a special memory in her heart. When they brought Scout home. The time Tom surprised her at college. Their wedding. The Red Sox game they met at. She could remember each of these moments so vividly as if they were yesterday. She reached the end of the dresser and the final picture. It was the picture of Tom down on one knee after he won his third Super Bowl. Confetti was flying and falling down on them. Friends and family, teammates and media surrounded them. Smiles and tears covered their faces. Tears covered Olivia's face now. But they were a different kind of tears. Not happy ones. Olivia clutched the picture to her chest and collapsed to the floor. She began to sob. She wanted that moment back so badly. She wanted that happiness with Tom to fill her soul again.

Scout came in the room and saw her mother crying on the floor. "Mommy, what's wrong?" Scout said coming to sit in her mothers crossed legs.

"Mommy was just looking at pictures," Olivia said wiping the countless tears from her cheeks.

"Can I see?" Scout asked looking up at her mother admirably. Olivia pulled the picture away from her chest to show Scout. Scout smiled. "Mommy, you and daddy look so happy," the naive two and a half year old said. Olivia began crying again. How could her daughter see this but not Tom? Her daughter could see they weren't happy anymore. But Tom couldn't. Scout immediately stood from her mom's lap and wrapped her tiny arms around her neck in a hug. Olivia willingly did the same. She heard footsteps walking towards them.

They were Tom's footsteps. She recognized the pattern of the way his feet hit the floor. He peaked his head in the doorway and examined the scene. He immediately turned around and walked the other way. Leaving the mother and daughter to themselves.

Goal is 15 votes and 6 comments! Will update once I reach that 😘