» rewind «

Everything's that's broke
Leave it to the breeze

****
August 4, 2014
****

The pitch black outside was minuscule compared to the inside of the Brady house. It was illuminating how bright it was. Refreshing. Their friends left hours ago and the pair was left with the aftermath. Plates and glasses were scattered about the living room. Olivia was holding a sound asleep Scout in her arms on the couch. Olivia had her phone in one hand and was running the other through Scout's hair. Tom was finishing cleaning up the kitchen from their little get together. Tom wiped his hands on his khaki shorts to dry them as he walked into the living room. "I'll put her to bed," Tom said leaning over Olivia to pick Scout out of her arms.

"Goodnight my princess," Olivia said kissing Scout's forehead and running a hand through her hair one last time before Tom walked off down the hallway with her. Olivia stood from the couch, straightened her romper, and followed Tom down the hallway. She peaked her head in Scout's room as Tom lay their tot gently in her toddler bed. "Hey, I'm going to bed too," Olivia whispered. Tom was a good dad. He always wanted to do everything he could to keep Scout happy. That little girl had Tom wrapped around her tiny little fingers.

"Okay, I'll be in in a minute," Tom said in a low voice. Olivia scampered farther down the hallway to her and Tom's room. She decorated their room in peaceful colors, light fraud and blues. She wanted their room to be a sanctuary and she had accomplished the goal. She stripped out of her romper and pulled on long black leggings and a baggy shirt of Tom's. It smelled of his cologne and set Olivia's nostrils on fire. Tom was easy on the eyes, but his scent was intoxicating and Olivia could never get enough to of it. She threw her hair up in a bun and lay in their bed waiting for Tom. "Hey," the tall man said appearing in the doorway. Olivia peered up from the book she was reading at him and a sideways smile appeared upon her usually pursed lips.

"Hi. Did she stay sleeping?" Olivia asked. Tom removed himself from his spot against the door frame and walked towards the King size bed.

"Yeah. She didn't even move," Tom said sprawling out across the bed. His arm laid across Olivia's waist.

"She must have been tired playing with Kain all night," Olivia suggested finally going back to her book. Tom realized he had lost his wife's attention. He ripped the book out of her hand. "Hey, I was reading that," Olivia said faintly. She pushed the reading glasses that were slipping down the bridge of her nose back to where they belonged.

"Talk to me," Tom said with authority. He held the book far from Olivia. He was fighting for her attention, and he wasn't one to lose a fight.

"About what? We talk all the time," Olivia said crossing her arms over her chest. She knew that wasn't true but she didn't feel like fighting tonight.

"No we don't. We never talk. Don't you feel that?" Tom asked his voice going up an octave as he went on.

"Of course I feel that. I'm not stupid," Olivia said back. She wasn't yelling, the well mannered woman hardly chose to yell. She spoke in a calm and soothing tone.

"Let's get back to us Liv," Tom pleaded. He reached for her hand and kissed it gently with his soft lips.

"How?" Olivia asked looking into his sparkling blue eyes for answers.

"We need a date night. I already asked and Julian said he would watch our girl tomorrow night," Tom said giving her the answers she yearned for.

"You planned a date night for us? You haven't done that since we first started dating," Olivia said as a wide smile spread across her glowing face.

"Like I said. Tomorrow night we get back to you and me," Tom said flipping the lights off and turning to sleep. Olivia sat up stunned that her husband took the time to plan a date for them. Suddenly their large bed didn't seem so lonely anymore. She felt a sense of relief that Tom also noticed that they had a problem and she wasn't just imagining it. Olivia turned and fell asleep with something that resembled a smile across her face for the first time in a long time.

Olivia woke up the next morning and Tom's words still rang in her ears. Back to you and me. It seemed so distant. The couple that once used to dance in the rain and have dinner dates all the time seemed like an impossible reality now. Their work seemed to come before their marriage. One thing that stayed a constant was that Scout always was their number one priority.

Scout was set up in her pink high chair that sat between Tom and Olivia at their glass dining room table. Olivia served Scout her breakfast of pancakes and fresh fruit. "Scout, daddy and mommy are going to go on a date tonight," Olivia said in a sing songy voice. She was anxious for their alone time and couldn't wait for it to be just them.

"And get me a brother?" Scout asked innocently. She had no idea what she had just said.

"If daddy gets lucky," Tom said cockily walking into the large dining area. He sat across from Olivia, who instantly kicked him under the table.

"Thomas! Don't say that in front of her," Olivia scolded in a harsh voice. She did her best to shield Scout from the bad things like cursing and profanity. After scolding him she stifled a laugh. She actually thought it was funny because it felt like her husband was back. Tom threw his hands in the air in surrender with a smirk across his lips.

Olivia got dressed in a high waisted flaring black skirt with a sheet white blouse tucked into it with red heels. She pursed her lips in the mirror that say above her makeup station and applied red lip stick. Tom appears in the bedroom from the walk in closet and was just finishing buttoning his dress shirt. "Are you almost ready?" Tom asked as he got to the last button.

"Yup," Olivia said giving her lips one last swipe. "Is Scout ready for her sleepover?" She asked smacking her lips together. She wasn't originally going to sleepover at the Edelman's house, but Julian insisted.

"She is waiting by the door. She is so excited," Tom beamed. Olivia turned to face him.

"Well let's not keep her waiting," Olivia said. She grabbed hold of Tom's large quarterbacking hand. They got to the entryway of the large house and saw Scout with her wheeling luggage waiting at the door. "Are you ready bugs?" Scout asked crouching down to her daughters height.

"I'm ready momma," Scout said confidently. Olivia wiggled her hand free from Tom's and gripped Scouts hand.

"Thank you guys so much for watching her," Olivia said when they got to the Edelman's house. Scout had already attached herself to Julian.

"No problem. You two have fun," Julian said. He winked at Tom but Olivia didn't see, she was hugging Claire goodbye.

"Bye Bugs. Behave," Olivia kissed Scout on the forehead before walking down the driveway. Tom did the same. The two strapped themselves in the Range Rover. The drive was silent for a while. The only sound was the radio that could barely be heard. Olivia finally spoke. "This is weird."

"What's weird?" Tom asked crinkling his beautiful face, not comprehending what his gorgeous wife meant. She looked stunning tonight, her hair framed her face perfectly making her look even more stylish than she was.

"We haven't done anything with just the two of us since I was pregnant," Olivia said leaning her head against the headrest and looking out her window.

"And that's a problem. Tonight is just about us my love," Tom said reaching for her hand and bringing it to his lips.