Slow Progress

I heard a car pull up outside and instantly rushed to my window. It was Ryan. He must have taken the bus. He walked up the pathway to the front door.

He rang the doorbell several times but of course, nobody answered. He turned to walk away.

"RYAN!" I shouted, banging on the window. He must have heard his name because he stopped walking.

"Ryan up here!" I yelled again. He looked up and turned round a few times before we made eye contact. He was clearly relieved.

"Let me in!" He shouted.

"I can't! They locked me in my room!"

Before he said anything, Ryan ran up to the front door and kicked it. It didn't move. He tried again and again.

"Ryan it's no use!" I started crying again. "Just get Mike!" He nodded and ran. I watched as he slowly got smaller before disappearing.

----------

I sat on the window ledge. I was still waiting for Ryan to come back with Mike. It had been over two hours since he left and it was beginning to get dark.

I breathed over the window and drew a sad face in the steamy patch. What's taking them so long? My foster parents will be back soon.

I'm so hungry that I think I would actually be glad. The only thing I've eaten today was that slice of toast, there wasn't even butter on it.

A car pulled up outside. It was Stewart's. Great. I hopped into bed and hoped he would think I was asleep.

I heard him coming up the stairs. I heard him go back down the stairs. He never even checked on me. Does he remember I'm here?

It's past midnight now, so no chance of Ryan coming back.

I curled up in a ball under my thin sheets and cried. I was so cold, so hungry, and so scared. My face still had blood on it from earlier.

----------

"Wake up!" I opened my eyes and Jennifer was above me, holding a small knife.

"Is it time for food?" I asked, assuming that's why she had a knife. She pulled me up by my shoulders and grabbed my arm.

She took the nice and took three quick slashes through my skin.

"Ow!" I winced at the pain. It was the same pain that was caused by my self harm.

Tears began strolling down my cheeks.

"This is what you get for being a bad girl! You should have been asleep last night when we came back!"

"I was"

"Liar!" She screamed before slapping my cheek, grabbing my phone and storming back out of the room.

I pulled myself up off the floor and walked to the sink in my bathroom. I put my hand under the tap and turned it on.

It burned, really badly! I winced in pain and started crying again. I bit down on my lip to stop myself screaming.

I finished rinsing it off and dried it with toilet tissue. More scars had begun to form, great. I looked up in the mirror to see the marks on my face.

Bruises and scratches and blood marks all over both of my cheeks. I'm so emotional. There's only one thing I can do at times like these. Play my guitar.

I grabbed it out of its case and began to play.

----------

I was in the flow, crying but I was venting it through sound.

"Shut off that infernal racket!" Announced Jennifer, bargain in. She took one look at the guitar which I now had stopped playing and snatched it out of me hands.

I was sitting on the bed as she walked a few steps backwards before swinging it over her shoulder.

"No!" I shouted, reaching my arm out towards her even though I couldn't reach. but she didn't care. She slammed the guitar to the ground. The strings snapped and the majority of the actual guitar was smashed into pieces.

"People like you don't deserve nice things!" Spat Jennifer.

"You monster!" I yelled through tears.

"Is that so?"

"Yes your a monster and I hate you!" I crouched down next to the guitar and started picking up the pieces.

I cried. Lots. This was pretty much the only thing that I got whilst I was at Ashdene Ridge, whilst I was safe.

Jennifer stormed out, slamming then locking the door on her way.

----------

Stewart slowly entered. It still scared me and I jolted to my feet.

"We are going out again."

"What time will you be back?"

"I don't know"

"Well can you let me have some paper?"

He gave me a piece of scrunched up scrap paper with some scribbled writing on it. I thanked him. Not really meaning it. He is as bad as Jennifer, if not worse.

After the familiar sound of the front door locking I slid the paper under the door.

Then I got a coat hanger and stretched it out into a long line. I poked it through the key hole and wiggled it round until I heard the key drop.

I pulled the paper back from underneath and to my relief, the key was there. I unlocked the door and walked round the house.

It felt so unfamiliar, even though I live here.

I found the kitchen and rummaged through until I found a key matching the one to my room. This way, I could leave as I please but still leave the original key in the lock so they don't know I leave.

Next thing to find: My Phone. There's no way I'm leaving without it.

Not in the kitchen, or living room, or bathroom. The only room left to search was their bedroom.

I felt invasive as I entered but the only thing there was a bed and a fancy looking tv. I rummaged around for a bit before eventually finding my phone in their drawer, along with a million others.

Stolen probably. Then I heard the click of the front door again. So soon?

I ran out the room and up the stairs and locked myself in, making sure to leave on of the keys outside on the floor so it looks like it dropped off the door and I just hid under my bed cover.

Soon enough, the door locked again and they left. I took my chance. I threw all my things into my bag and made my way to the front door. This is it, I'm leaving! I'm free!

Nope. The front door is locked. Seriously! They don't have a spare key! No! Why?

I was so close. I almost got out!

I was still in the house so I could take advantage of this. I went into the kitchen and grabbed some food. Some snacks and drinks and stuff.

I basically had a midnight feast, well 8:30pm feast anyway! At least I'm not going to die of starvation any more.

I heard my phone vibrate from up in my room.

Ryan: I'll be back tomorrow I promise xxx

THANK GOODNESS!