How does she know?

As I arrived in the dining room, the conversation slowly died down into silence.
"Hello, my name is Mai Lee, you didn't meet me last night but I'm a care worker here so you'll see me on a daily basis." The woman who spoke had straight, black hair and was in the process of passing bowls round the table.

"Look guys" Mike said, "Marie has had a terrible time so maybe if you just try and start over..." He glanced towards the other care worker, then Tyler before leaving the room.

I looked around the table and noticed there was only one seat left. It was between the northern boy and the ginger girl and it was right at the end of the table.

I slowly went and sat down. "How about we go round the table and introduce ourselves before we start eating?" Mai Lee's idea was a good one because I'm not sure how else we would have broken the awkward silence.

"I'll start." Said Tyler. "My name is Tyler and I'm still really sorry about last night."

After everybody had introduced themselves, it became my turn and talking about myself or personal things is by no means my strong suit.

"Well, my name is Marie Riley and I'm 14. I don't really have much family left which is why I came here."

"Do you like dancing?" Floss asked excitedly.
"Yeah I do actually" I stated as everyone seemed to lean in expecting some sort of explanation. "What?!"

"Nothing, don't worry about it." Said Kazima. Everybody then began reaching for cereal boxes and toast and started to eat. I just stared down at my plate and sort of zoned out of the situation. I just sat there wondering what was going to happen to me. Am I expected to just act like nothing ever happened? To forget that I once had parents and an aunt who cared about me?

"Not eating?" Ryan whispered.
"Not hungry." I replied.
"You've been crying." He whispered again.
"No I haven't!" I snapped.
"You're doing it now" he chuckled.
I wiped my hand against my cheeks, only to realise that Ryan was right. I was crying. Not as much as I was before. But I was still crying. I let my hand fall beside my seat only for a big dog to come and start licking it crazily. I knelt down and began playing with the dog.

"That's mischief" said Bailey, " you can help me walk him after breakfast if you like."
I smiled up at him and nodded. I looked back towards Ryan who has a nervous look on his face.
"Are you afraid of dogs?" I asked with a grin on my face.
"He's terrified" Bailey sniggered.

"Yeah but don't worry, we aren't all babies like he is!" Said Carmen. By this point I could tell Ryan was getting agitated.

"That's enough of that please Carmen" Mai Lee said sternly.

For the rest of breakfast I just chatted with Floss about dancing etc but I could feel Ryan staring at me the whole time. I assumed it was because he was the only person who saw me crying but I couldn't help but feel that it was something else. I decided to push those thoughts away when my phone vibrated in my pocket, telling me I had a message.

'I haven't seen you in ages. Let me know you're still alive girl xx
E xx'

It was from my friend Emily. She has been the only person who was there for me. We made friends when she found me crying in the corridor shortly after my parents death, we found out we have lots in common and from then on we were really great friends. She always stood up for me at school and made sure people couldn't get too me. Well, she did.

I just sat there staring down at my phone until breakfast was over and people began to leave. I wanted to reply asking to meet up but how could I? I live miles away from her now an ill probably never see her again.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Ryan spoke whilst glaring over my shoulder.
"No it's just a friend from back home." I snapped, quickly turning my phone off.

"If you say so. Look we're all going to the park in a bit if you fancy it?"
"And by all of you, you mean...?"
"Me, Carmen, Tee, Jody, Bailey, Harry and Mischief."
"Yeah, sure why not?" I said faking a smile.
"Great, I'll go tell the others" he said before turning on his heels and running off.

My attention turned back towards my phone. I just decided to face it and reply.

'Not sure I can, I'm gonna be away for a while. Sorry xx'

My heart skipped a beat as I pushed the send button. I may have just pushed away the only person who cares about me. My phone buzzed again almost immediately.

'Forget it. I try to be nice because you have just been ditched in a grubby kids home but I guess you don't care. Goodbye Marie, have a nice life with your new friends!'

I couldn't believe it. How did she know? Who told her? Why is she so against it? It's not my fault is it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooooo what secrets do you think Marie is hiding?

I'm so tired so byeeeee