Chapter 19: Marked

Start from the beginning

Mary didn't say anything, simply staring out the window for several seconds before smiling at him. "I supposed I should thank\ this council then for my luck."

Vex grinned at her.

"The other reaper," Mary began, "Was her name Grim?"

He chuckled throatily. "Yeah, stupid name if you ask me."

"She looks young, black or maybe even blue hair, maybe some piercing holes on her face?"

"Yeah, black hair and black eyes, why?"

Mary smiled, "No reason."

She turned and walked out of the room, into the hallway of her hotel and to the next room. Adele was sitting amongst stacks of paper, looking at a laptop while she talked rapidly into a phone. When Mary entered Adele quickly said goodbye and hung up the phone.

"Hello mistress," she said wearily.

Mary picked up a stray piece of paper, looking over the map that Adele had marked. "When will they arrive?"

"That was Jeremiah on the phone; they're on the town lines and are just waiting for the dead to let them pass."

Mary grinned at Adele, "Excellent. What about the other project? The other group, have they been sent over?"

Adele nodded, a smile passing on her exhausted face. "They've arrived and are on their way. But apparently the deliveries are not being very corporative, putting up a real fight. The dragon killed three of us."

Mary pursed her lips; they were already so few enough. "It has to be done I'm afraid. Now, about the reaper, who calls herself Grim?"

"Yes, do you want her captured?"

"Of course, we're old school friends. It'll be lovely to catch up."

"We can't."

"There is literally no reason you can't."

"It's against all our laws."

"So, you're happy to just stay here and maybe die at the hands of mindless zombies?"

Ed Collins glared at her before turning on his heel and addressing the crowd of werewolves. Grim smirked victoriously behind his back.

"Everyone, everyone," Ed called. The wolves turned, falling silent. "I know everyone's confused and scared, and I'm not going to tell you not to be. The truth is that the dead have risen, and that they are everywhere. Our alpha has gone missing, and yes this Anya Royce, who many of you might remember as dying around a decade ago."

If it had been humans there would have been an uprising. Swearing and cursing, yelling and shouting, maybe even shoving and hitting. The wolves did nothing. Instead they waited for an explanation, for their beta to tell them how to fix the problem. Werewolves were good at taking orders, they were excellent soldiers and Grim knew they would not disobey.

Maybe this might work. Maybe this problem could be solved easily. Maybe they could break through and retake the town. Maybe Grim could find this necromancer and stop her. Maybe, just this once, she might have a little luck.

"Anya here, or Grim as she now goes by, has informed me that this is a witches doing. She doesn't know what this witch has planned but we've both decided that I cannot be good. I have decided, in place of Alpha Roget, that I will be in charge until he can resume his position. Using this authority I believe we have a duty to these people, these humans to protect them. This is why I have decided that all werewolves capable of shifting with do so."