Not so Innocent After All

Laverne sighed. His mother was overreacting again. “Mom…” Laverne said in a sweet and innocent voice. “I can take care of myself, don’t worry.” He continued. “Don’t call Evan, I want to surprise him.” He said in the same voice but with a mischievous grin on his lips. His mom didn’t answer. “Don’t you trust me?” He said in a gloomy and childish tone.

            “I understand, but if anything happens, call me. Understand?” His mother persisted.

            “Yes.” He said cheerfully then hanged the phone. “Ahh… you always make things bigger than they really are.” He complained with a sharp expression on his face. He put back his phone on his pocket and then clutched the necklace inside his shirt as he looked outside the bus.

            Everything started because of the picture of Evan with a girl named Cara, and Laverne couldn’t help but wonder if things could have been different if he hadn’t saw that picture. Maybe things would be better then, but on the other hand if not for that picture then he wouldn’t know what cheat Evan really was.

            Finally, Laverne made it to the football field where Evan and Cara was. He watched the two for a while before he started walking towards their direction. He was walking towards the football field when a group of female students approached him. “Are you lost? We could accompany you if you want.” One of them said flirtatiously. “Are you looking for the admin’s office?”

            “I am…” Laverne said innocently as he looked at them. He was about to say a snide reply when a strong arm appeared around his shoulders.

            “He’s with me, actually.” A familiar voice said as Laverne was pulled closer to the lean body. “So I suggest that you forget your motives for approaching him right now, because you’re only wasting you’re time.” The group looked at them embarrassedly for a while before leaving. “You should be careful around here, with that face of yours it would be easy to attract people with… let’s just say, impure motive…”

            Laverne couldn’t stop staring at the man beside him. He didn’t even know what to easy or think. “Thanks…. I guess…” Laverne muttered. He was still dazed. The man moved slightly away from him to give some space.

            “My name is Keith, by the way. Keith Pollard.” It was then that Laverne finally noticed the necklace hanging on Keith’s neck.

            “I see…” Laverne mused.

            “What?” Keith asked curiously.

            “Nothing...” Laverne replied. “That’s a nice necklace.” Laverne said as he continued on staring at Keith.

            “Say, do you have some time…? Maybe we could get some coffee or something…” Keith asked, sounding a bit hesitant.

            Laverne looked at the other side of the field. He saw Evan and Cara flirting with each other. Then he looked at Keith with a smile. “Sure, why not…” He replied. “By the way, my name is Laverne Spence.” He introduced himself as he reached for a handshake.

            “What a great name…” Keith said as he shook Laverne’s hand. “Lav…”

            Hearing Keith call him Lav made his heart skip a beat. It simply felt so right to be called that name. “You said that my face easily attracts people with impure motives…” Laverne said with a smile. “Does that apply to you too?” He asked with a naughty smile.

            “What?” Keith blushed and he seemed pretty embarrassed. “It’s not like that…” He explained frantically. “I’m…”

            “Relax… I’m joking…” Laverne said with a smile. Keith looked very embarrassed still and Laverne felt really guilty. “Instead of coffee, do you want to have lunch together?” Laverne asked.

            Keith and Laverne was walking in the park after having lunch and they seemed to be very relax and comfortable with each other. Anyone who sees them would find it very difficult to believe that they had just met.

            “So Lav, are you here to apply in the University?” Keith asked as the sat down a park bench.

            “Not really.” Laverne replied honestly. “I actually came here for someone… Someone really important to me…” He said seriously while looking at Keith straight in the eyes.

            “I see…” Keith said as he looked away disappointedly. “For you to come all the way here just for that person, you must be in love.” Keith asked, sounding a bit disappointed.

            “I am…” Laverne replied in a gentle tone as he clutched the necklace behind his shirt.

            “That person is really lucky to have you.” Keith said as he looked at Laverne.

             “You think so?” Laverne asked.

            “I know so.” Keith replied with a gentle smile. “Well then. I won’t stand in your way any longer…” Keith said. “You should find that lucky person, and then hold on tight.” Keith said as he stood up. “You should be really careful, Lav, people will try to hurt you and abuse you because of that innocent face of yours. I’ll just be around, so if you ever need a friend, you know how to find me.” Keith was going to walk away.

            Laverne didn’t want Keith to leave. He was afraid that if he let Keith walk away then things would surely end. He didn’t to be parted from Keith, not ever again.

            “I seriously doubted if I should ever come here all over again.” Laverne said even before Keith could walk away. “But everything started here, and I was hoping that a miracle would happen again and the person I love would remember everything. I guess a miracle did happen.”

            Keith turned back and looked at him. Keith seemed pretty confused.

            “You always say that I look so innocent.” Laverne said as he reached for the necklace behind his shirt. “But, I’ve told you over and over again…” He slowly removed the necklace from his neck. “I’m not that innocent.” Laverne said gently and then showed Keith the necklace.

            Instead of a pendant, two rings hanged around Laverne’s neck.

            “That’s….” Keith said in a shaky voice. His eyes were wide for a second before he erupted into a wide and beautiful smile. “Does that mean that you remember me?” Keith asked, stepping closer to Laverne.

            “I think it’s impossible to forget you.” Laverne said as he steeped closer to Keith.

            Keith took the rings from Laverne’s hand. He put one ring on his own finger and then took Laverne’s hand. “This time around, we’ll never be apart. This time around, we’ll never lose each other again.” Keith said as he slowly put the ring on Laverne’s finger. “I love you, Laverne Spence, with all my heart.”

            “I love you too, Keith Pollard. And I can’t wait to share forever with you.”

            And when the ring was finally in place, Keith’s necklace suddenly emitted a warm blue light. Keith and Laverne were surprised to see the pendant lit once again, but at the same time, they felt happy and relieved that finally the pendant lit up signaling that their fate had finally changed.

            The light subsided and the necklace disappeared, and the two had come closer to each other, embraced, and then shared their first kiss in their new destiny.