Not so Exploited Opportunities

Laverne's heart exploded as he heard Keith say the name Lav. It had been so long since he last heard that name, and he thought that he would never hear it again. Hearing Keith say that name again just brought so many memories, happy memories. He was so glad that Keith said that name once again. But, he was still very curious as to why Keith suddenly say that name. Was it just a mere coincidence or was it something more?

            With his heart, still racing and pounding, Laverne sat frozen on his studio as his eyes were still fixed on the TV screen. More than being called Lav once again, he couldn't believe what Keith had just said. He was important to Keith, Keith wanted to protect him, and most importantly, he was dear to Keith's heart. Somehow, Laverne saw a glimpse of hope that maybe Keith was feeling the same way. Maybe Keith love him the same he does.

            With his recent success with Chairman Hudson and Keith's press-con, Laverne felt that everything was just going so smoothly for him, so smoothly that he feared that something terrible was waiting at the end. Everything was just too good to be true, he felt like he was floating in a very wonderful dream. Laverne couldn't concentrate on his work after hearing what Keith had said. He was in a total haze that he couldn't focus at all. It was in that state that he came home that night.

            He didn't stay late at his studio that night and he came home to his mother and David sitting on the living room, having coffee together. The two of them looked so good together. They were chatting happily and Laverne could clearly see that those two were really in love. The way they look at each other told Laverne how deep their love was for each other.

            "Oh, you're early today." Natalie said cheerfully as she gave her son a peck on the cheeks. "We're going to watch a movie in the theater room, do you want to join us?" She offered.

            "No thanks, I think I need to rest." Laverne said. He was still in dazed and his mind was still swimming in confusion. There were just so many questions in his head that he wanted to be answered. After what Keith had said, he wondered what would happen to their relationship.

            "Laverne, did you watch Keith's press-con?" David asked.

            His heart skipped a bit. He was so nervous that David might have figured out something. Laverne was really worried. "Yes." He said shortly. He had no idea what else to say.

            "I see, that must be why you look like you've seen a ghost." David said nothing more. Laverne was about to leave when David spoke again. "I've heard what you did to make Jessica admit her lies." David said. "Don't do anything like that again, it's too dangerous and you might get hurt." David didn't sound angry, but he sounded very worried.

            "Don't worry, I grew resilient over years." Laverne replied. Laverne kept on repeating, in his head, Keith's words. Keith's gentle voice as he said the name Lav never left Laverne's mind. Laverne's heart would race even faster every time he would remember Keith saying his nickname. Lav... it was a nickname that Keith came up with five years ago to tease him, and no one else had called him that. That name was special; it was a name that only Keith could call him.

            He held the pendant behind his shirt as he closed his eyes and fell back on his bed. "What am I going to do?" Laverne said under his breath. "Mother and David seem to be really in love..." It had been so long since he last saw his mother that happy. It seems that David healed all the wounds that his father left.

            After thinking for a while, Laverne fell asleep. He didn't know what to say Keith after everything that happened, so it was a relief to him that he fell asleep before Keith came home. Even after everything that Chairman Hudson did to him, Laverne never regretted what he did for Keith, not even once. Laverne slept, conflicted, he was happy about the outcome of his plan, he was happy at what Keith said, but he felt really confused. If he pursues to be with Keith, then one way or another, his mother would get hurt. Laverne didn't want to hurt his mother.