Not so Happy Ending

Laverne was trying his best to hide his nervousness. He didn’t want to worry his cousin and Keith at all. Sure, he was confident about his singing voice, but he had never sung in public before. He was unsure if he could really perform in front of that many spectators. His heart was racing and he felt like he was running away from rabid dogs that are about to chew him apart.

            He was in the backstage waiting for the finals to begin and the only thing that was stopping his heart from exploding was the knowledge that Keith was in the audience, watching and rooting for him. Cara was on the other side of the room looking at him with fiery eyes, but Laverne ignored her. The two thuds who twisted his hands were on the other side and he smiled at them and the two shuddered.

            The competition started and Laverne was the last one to perform. Before him, Cara sang a pop song that made the crowd really excited. The cheering in the theater was so loud that it Laverne couldn’t even his nervous heart beating.

            Cara exited the stage and Laverne walked in the center nervously. He felt the weight of the people’s stare. He was very uneasy. He felt a sudden urge to run away, but then he saw Keith amongst the crowd. He had no idea how he managed to find Keith among all those people, he just simply knew where to look. Somehow, there was sting connecting both of them.

            The nervousness that Laverne was feeling magically subsided. The sight of Keith smiling and nodding proudly at him was enough to give him strength and confidence. Laverne took a deep breath before raising his microphone. He closed his eyes and then begun singing.

            His voice, like his face, was very angelic. Laverne could sing anything and it would move the heart of anyone listening to him. When he opened his eyes, he only looked at Keith. Keith looked proud and happy, and that kept Laverne really motivated. More than making Cara pay, Laverne wanted to win for Keith.

            Laverne had no idea, but everyone in the theater, the audiences, the judges, and even his competitors was really impressed with his talent. They were all at awe. Laverne finished his song and received a standing ovation. The crowd was cheering and booming. It made him feel great, feel confident, but the sight of Keith smiling and clapping proudly was what made Laverne really happy.        He didn’t care for the prize. Keith’s smile was dimply enough for him.

            Laverne sang with all his heart. And his voice reached everyone in that theater. The hearts of many were moved and captured by Laverne’s angelic singing voice. But it didn’t really matter to him, because he already had the heart of the man he truly loves.

            The competition ended, and the winners were announced. Expectedly, Laverne won and Cara was his runner up. He saw Cara’s expression and saw how pissed she was. His plan was coming into fruition, and Laverne couldn’t wait for the grand finale.

            Back at the backstage, Laverne was congratulated by some. He was surprised when Melanie and Keith entered. Keith gave him a bouquet of flowers and a tight hug. “I’ll give you something more later on.” Keith said with a smile.

            “Wait here.” Laverne said when he saw Cara. He took his glass trophy and envelope of cash with him when he approached her. “It must suck to be always the second best, after me. First it was with Evan, and now this competition.” Laverne said mockingly with a smile.

            “You’ve already won, what do you want?” Cara was really irritated. She looked at Laverne with pretty furious eyes. She looked very wicked. But no matter ho much she looked angrily at Laverne, Laverne still stayed unfazed. Cara would never scare him, because for him she was no more than a pathetic witch.