Not so Fleeting Heart

Laverne had finally finished Blue Heart. With the addition of the violin the music as a final touch, a singer was the only missing for him to finish his masterpiece. In addition, he had also finished the latest song that he would release. All that was because of the great inspiration that Keith was continuously giving him.       

            Everything was going so well at the beginning, until he was called in Gilbert’s office. Laverne had a bad feeling to what was going to happen. When he entered Gilbert’s office, there were already two other people in there. A middle aged man and young lady, whose backs were both turned.

            “Spence, you’re finally here.” Gilbert said as he walked inside the room. “I would like you to meet the singer for your latest single.” He said arrogantly.

            Laverne was in no mood to argue with Gilbert that time, but still there was no way that he would let Gilbert decide who would sing his song without consulting him at all.

            The young lady finally turned around, with a big smile on her face. “Hello, Laverne…” The young lady said in a snide tone. “It’s good to see you again…”

            Laverne looked at her carefully. “Who are you?” He asked melancholically.

            “You don’t recognize me?” The young lady asked in quite an irritated tone.

            “Would I ask you who you are, if I do?” Laverne replied sarcastically.

            “Don’t be rude, Spence.” Gilbert intervened. “This is the fast rising star, Cara Morrison.” Gilbert said proudly.

            That name sounded very familiar to Laverne. He had heard of it somewhere before. “Cara… Morrison… Where did I hear that name before…?” He mused loudly. “Ahhh…” Laverne finally remembered. She was that witch from five years ago. She was a very insignificant person in his life, and that must be why he couldn’t remember her at all. 

             “So you remember now.” Cara stood up and walked towards him. “After many years, we’ve finally meet again.” She said with a wicked grin. “I’m really excited to sing your song.” She added as she offered he hand for a handshake.

            One look at her and Laverne was sure that she was up to no good at all. There was no way he would entrust one of his works to such a witch. Once a witch, always a witch. Laverne thought. “I’ll think about it.” He said snobbishly, ignoring Cara’s hand. “But I must say; the chances are very slim. You see, I don’t give my songs to second rate artists.” He said before leaving the room.

            Laverne had no interest in working with such a vile person as Cara. There was no way he would let a witch sing any of his songs. It’s not like he still had bitter feelings for her, he simply doesn’t like her whole personality.

            Once he got back to his own studio, Gilbert gave him a call. “You come back here and apologize to Cara. She would sing your latest song, whether you like it or not.” Gilbert threatened.

            “What a great joke...” Laverne replied confidently and then hanged the phone.

            He felt a bit stressed. He really hates it when Gilbert decides who’ll use or sing his song without consulting him. Sure, he works for the record company, but it doesn’t mean that they could whatever they want to his songs, songs that he made with his heart and soul.

            With the sudden reappearance of the witch Cara, Laverne couldn’t help but feel that it was a bad omen. He opened his computer to surf the net and was surprised to see his name on the top searches for day. One particular article intrigued him. And, when he opened it, he was surprised.