Not so New Stepbrother

It was a cold night and Leslie Daniels was on a blind date. But it was not an ordinary date. It was a date with her potential wedding partner. The man was tall and looked very dashing in his suit. He looked slim and fit and his face was just beyond perfection. Everything about him was very interesting, including the unique pendant that he was wearing.

            The pendant looked very intriguing. It was small spherical orb and inside it was a small hourglass. The necklace was white gold and the spherical pendant was lined with gold. The orb itself was a clear white crystal and the hourglass was diamond lined with gold.

            “That’s a very beautiful pendant.” Leslie said.

            Her date smiled beautifully. “I know.” He said shortly and coldly as he held the pendant with his fingers and played with it for a bit.

The man looked very bored and interested. Leslie knew that he would be like that. She had heard that her date would do anything to make her dislike him and call off any future plans for marriage. It was a tactic that he had used, many times over the years, to the blind dates that his mother sets-up for him, and apparently it worked every time. But Leslie was different, she knew about his tactic and she was decided to make him hers by the end of the night.

“Are you not having fun?” She asked.

            “I’m bored.” The man replied in a short but cold manner. He took a sip of red wine from his glass and then looked at Leslie. “I’m really bored right now.”

            “Is that so? Is it because of me?” Leslie asked in charming and seductive manner.

            Her date started chuckling. “What other reasons could you think of?” He said coldly. “You’re so transparent and easy to read that it’s really boring me to death.” He said and then leaned closer to her. “So, how do you want to continue this little game?”

            “Ga-game?” Leslie asked. She sounded very confused and curious at the same time.

            “Yes, game. I could pretend that I’m enjoying this date, but I could also end this agonizing waste of time as well.” He said and then grinned.

            “What I heard about you was correct. You would really do everything to make your date dislike you, in that way you would still look like a good obedient son to your mother. You get what you want while keeping your kind and innocent reputation intact.” Leslie said as she took a sip of her wine.

            The man chuckled again. “So you did your research.” He said as he sat back on his chair. “Quite impressive, but still not enough. If you just researched more thoroughly then you would have known that I’m not really that interested in women.” He said then grinned.

            “What?” Leslie looked very surprised. “Don’t tell me you’re…” She said in a shaky voice.

            “Why, didn’t you know? Well then, let me say this clearly… I’m more interested in men.” He said when he stood up from his chair. “Have fun…” He said with a smirk as he took a final sip of wine before leaving the restaurant.

             Laverne was really tired. He was tired of his mother setting him up on dates. It was not like his decision would be changed; he would never get married, he would never get into any relationship, he would die single. Many things changed ever since he came back home the summer five years ago, but one thing remained the same; his heart still belongs to Keith. The memories were still very clear and vivid on his mind. He could still see it on his head, the day that Keith disappeared from his life.