Chapter 3: Hungry Hungry Reaper

Start from the beginning

Now she was a mother of three, all little girls. She'd found her mate at twenty-one, the same week as she got out of the mental institution. Now her hair was messy, her once perfect nails chipped, her body scarred from a c-section and probably for the first time in her life actually happy.

Then there was David. Blake had yet to meet someone stupider. He'd know David since they were six and met playing little league. David had spent his entire life being given everything because he could play sport, and this left him with this horrid sense of entitlement. He was also an asshole. During the Bet he had played harmful pranks of Anya, setting trip wires and buckets of water of doors, endlessly and relentless.

Now David lived in another territory, working as a coach for a university team. After Anya died he'd never played again. Like Blake, he felt he had to be punished somehow, and he did that by giving up the career he'd spent his entire life preparing for.

Then there was Mark and Jessica, Blake was sad to see them go. They'd died two years ago, in a horrific car crash. Blake himself had had to go and sort the issue out, watching as their mangled bodies were pulled out. The twins had been decent people. During the Bet they had gotten Anya in trouble, making it look like she was the one to flood bathrooms and lets out frogs, and silly things like that. Blake would always hold respect for the both of them because they had wanted to stop, begged to be let out and for all of them to forget it. But Mary hadn't let them.

Mary.

Mary was quite possibly the worst creature on this earth. She was cold and cruel and evil. Mary had been the one to come up with the Bet. She'd caused all the problems.

Blake wished every day that he had been brave enough to resist her. That was the thing about Mary; she could convince anyone to do anything for her or with her. She could smile sweetly and you would do it to be nice, but more often than not she threatened and coerced.

During the Bet, Mary had played the biggest part. She'd ruined Anya's credibility with the teachers, dropping her grades, she aided Eva in spreading rumours, helped design more intricate and harmful pranks for the twins and David, and worst of all she'd helped Blake reject her.

Often Blake had desires to find her and strangle her thin, pretty throat. Maybe that's why she left.

One month after Anya's death, and two weeks after the blood oath, Blake had gone to her house to scream at her. He'd arrived just in time for her to wave as her father drove her to the airport. Occasionally she sent him a postcard, with a red lipped kiss on the paper and the name of whatever pack she was visiting. Mary had to have been to every pack in the world. Yet, she was never where she said she was. It took Blake too long to realise that she was picking up the postcards, signing them and then mailing them days or even weeks later.

When Blake thought about what she might be doing it made him shudder.

Blake sighed, and focused on Eva. Her breathing was loud and uneven in the phone and for some reason Blake found the hair on the back of his neck rising, and his wolf growled in the recesses of his mind.

"What's so urgent you have to call," Blake checked his watch, "At four in the morning?"

"I had to wait for the kids to go to sleep and Jason."

"Why?" Blake didn't want to do niceties.

"Because, my mother told me so interesting news that I thought you ought to know. No, something that you need to know."

Blake was sick of talking to her already. He had never been able to stomach any of his old friends since the incident.

"What is it?"