Chapter 2: Being human . . . sucks

Start from the beginning

All of this had been on her when she died.

She pinched the bridge of nose and froze. Slowly she trailed her hand all over face and groaned. She'd forgotten her piercings. One in her nose, three bars in each eyebrow, one through her tongue, a hoop on her lip and five piercings on each ear. That must mean her hair was blue again. And sure enough when she brought a strand up and inspected it, she saw that it was indeed blue, not the black it had appeared wet and in the dark.

Dear god, not only was she a mortal, she was a teenager.

And oh god she had braces!

"I hate them so much," she said out loud, talking to the stars.

She sighed and sat up just in time for the phone next to her to begin ringing. She stared at the vibrating phone, that shouldn't have been working, and knew that she didn't want to answer it. But she did.

The number flashing on it was 666, and she wondered if the council thought they were being funny. She didn't think they had a sense of humour.

"Hello,' she said, flicking the phone open and holding it to her ear.

There was no return hello.

"You objective is to find where the witch is, and who they are. Once you have accomplished this task reinforcement will be sent to aid you. You have a period of two months before the souls curdle and fade, and if you have not accomplished it with that time you will be severely punished."

The echoing voices of a dozen council members came through and Grim sighed, ready to reply when she heard dial tone. She looked at the phone stunned. They'd hung up on her.

But what did she expect, honestly.

With another sigh, Grim found her way to her feet and began to trudge towards the bridge.

On July 16th death stopped around the world. The effect was instantaneous, with all the dying around the world stopping. As you know, when death occurs the soul becomes almost completely detached from within the body of the deceased, only a thin thread remaining, which Death Reapers cut. Souls are no longer separating from the body at all.

This leaves the body dead but still conscious. The body will rot but the soul will remain, and no Reaper methods have proved affective. The only thing that has proved effective is to send the souls into a deep sleep, which prevents them from walking around and stops the world from realising what has occurred.

The information rushed into her head, making her freeze in her tracks as her mind scrambled to accept the input. She hated when they invaded her brain and placed information into it.

Shaking it off, she set off once again continued.

It was strange being human. She'd never been a human before. Before she'd died she'd been a werewolf, having the heightened sense of the beast and always a conscious in the back of her mind offering support and warmth. After that she'd been a Reaper, empty of all emotion and oblivious to the trivial worries of mortals. But now she was human. How did they function in the dark, not seeing anything and their hearing so delicate it was almost like the world was on mute? How did they deal with the silence?

She hadn't noticed it when she was a reaper, but now she missed her wolf. It was lonely in her mind and she craved that secure feeling, knowing that she was never alone. Immediately she felt bad for thinking of it.

Grim focused all of her dwindling energy on stumbling to the light of the bridge. Her teeth were chattering and her arms covered in goosebumps. How did they expect her to find this witch when she was mortal?