Chapter 60: Burn, Claire!

Claire then woke up in the open a few hours later, when the sun was scorching hot. The Priserian sun was hot all year round, including winter. She looked to her right and found the rest still sleeping. Their skin was tanned golden brown, and their wings were decomposing.

She tried to free herself by turning to her left and right. However, it was all in vain. The duct tape that was used to hold her and her companions were too strong. 

Just as she was about to escape her misery, Valerie's father came into the sun.

"Enjoying yourself?"

"Somehow," replied Claire. "Why don't you put us in the oven?" At this time, Claire thought that her idea would expand the duct tape and free them.

"No, we do not have an oven or a toaster."

Claire thought of another idea

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Claire thought of another idea. "Then you can pour red hot sand onto us! It would cook us faster.

Valerie's father though it was a good idea and did what Claire told him. The sand expanded the duct tape and seeped between the adhesive and the fairies' skin. When Valerie's father was gone, the three fairies got out of their cage and slowly limped away.

Once they were on the edge of the table, there was another problem. How were they going to get down? Shannon looked around and found out that the duct tape was a good choice. She stuck the duct tape to one of the table legs and slid down quietly. The others then followed behind.

When they were on the floor, they ran out of the house through a small hole in the gate. It was then the girls found Keanric unwilling to follow.

"Don't you want to escape?" asked Claire.

"I need to bring Valerie back to Fairyland first," said Keanric. After that, Keanric left the girls on their own.

The girls looked at each other and shrugged. Then, they looked for a place they could have faster travel.

The first thought that struck them was to hit the road and find a bus stop. However, to their dismay, Frester Street was one of those streets in Priseria without a bus stop. As a result, they had to look for a car that was ready to drive off.

Then, they heard the faint voice of a girl. "Claire, listen," Shannon called out.

"Hey mom, are we going to Carren City by car?"

"Yes, it is, sweetie."

Upon hearing that, the fairies sprang up from their hiding place and ran straight for the family's car. With some difficulty, they flew into the boot and fell asleep.

*****

"Claire, wake up! We're at the Supreme Court Checkpoints already! That's the Carren City one!" screamed Shannon as she tried to wake Claire up. To add on to her point, Shannon added, "The Carren City Checkpoints have laser scanners that pass through opaque solids in their item checks!"

However, Claire was sharper than Shannon. "I had lived in Carren for all my life. The lasers are spaced one inch apart. We could always squeeze through!"

As a result, they stayed in the car and waited for the lasers.

After a few moments, the lasers squeezed through the car boot. The two fairies tied their hair to their necks and closed their eyes. 

zzz...

The lasers went past them and did not have a chance to scan them.

"Yes! We passed the lasers!" screamed Shannon at a pitch high enough to show that she was at the top of the world and low enough for the humans in the car to not hear.

The car drove past many buildings and soon reached a hotel located on Perimeter Road. Someone opened the boot and the fairies went out quietly, without anyone else staring. Then, they walked all the way to the palace, which was a 500m walk with 3 road crossings.