Ashton licked his lips and studied the woman across from him before leaning forwards on the table, narrowing his eyes in a thoughtful way. "You've got a lot of balls to leave a son behind and then call him stupid when he comes begging for your help"

"I'm not calling him stupid, Ashton. I'm calling this stupid," she said and pointed between herself and Ashton, "What have you done to deserve such compassion from Michael?"

"Absolutely nothing, mam. I may even have treated your son worse than you did, and that says a lot about how we are as human beings, doesn't it?" Ashton hummed, leaning back in his chair again as he watched Karen untangle her hands and sigh.

"I am aware of the person I was, that I in some ways still am. But I have a feeling you have no clue what you have become, is that correct?" she said, her eyes studying him so deeply that Ashton was quite sure she could see his souls. If he had one.

"I know exactly what kind of person I am," Ashton replied and tugged at he handcuffs, "And I'll let you know that your son loves that person, even though I've made it pretty fucking clear it's going to kill him one day"

Karen looked at him in silence, looking like a million of thoughts were going through her mind and Ashton felt the need to snort at her.

"Love kills you, if you didn't already know" he answered instead, making her furrow her eyebrows slightly before replying to his statement.

"Is that what happened to Luke?"

Just the mere mention of Luke's name made Ashton tense up and immediately grow defensive. He clenched his fists, making the handcuffs cut into his skin even more than before, but Karen only tapped her long nails against the table calmly.

"Because I know you didn't kill him, Ashton, but someone did," she spoke again, making Ashton glance away from her to stare into the wall behind her, "That's why I'm here. Even though it's not fully my choice I'm still here because my work is to make sure people are being held by their true actions"

"If you're saying that I shouldn't be here right now I've got to tell you that you don't deserve the payment you get as a lawyer because you're fucking clueless" Ashton mumbled, causing her to sigh.

"I know exactly who you are, Ashton. I believe everyone in the whole city has a clue of who you are and what you've done. And even though I'm here to help you out, I know for sure you deserve to be here" she explained, slowly but surely making Ashton look at her again. "But I also know the judge sentenced your time in here for a crime you didn't commit"

Ashton clenched his jaw and let his nails dig deep inte the skin at the palms of his hands as he listened to her continue.

"I may not be able to tap down the years of you being held in here, but I can get you out of here long enough for you to meet Luke one last time" she said softly, causing Ashton's body to relax.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he whispered.

"If you do as I say, and promise to help me out, I promise you that I can get you out of here so you'll be able to attend Luke's funeral," she whispered back, "I promise you that a proper goodbye could make a great difference, Ashton"

Ashton was quiet for a long time, his eyes never leaving Karen's as he furrowed his eyebrows. It was like he was waiting for the catch, because he fucking knew there was one. Yet, he also knew this was all because of Michael, and Ashton knew that Michael would do anything to put Ashton on a pedestal.