Standing As Strangers

Start from the beginning

Amber smiled at me and laid her free hand over mine. "You're right, from now on no more thinking, looking or speaking about that poor excuse of a human being."

I smiled gratefully at her. "Finally you understand." I teased and rolled my eyes. "After a whole month!"

Amber was about to speak but another voice cut her off. "Are you cheating on me Amber?"

I looked up to see Nate looking very seriously at Amber. Amber furrowed her brows in confusion. "N-no, why would you think that?" she asked.

Nate pointed with his eyes to where mine and Amber's hands were over each other's on the table. "Something you two want to tell me?" he asked this time with amusement.

Amber rolled her eyes and we pulled our hands away. "Yeah, I'm in love with Carly and I'm dumping your ass this instant." She said sarcastically as Nate took a seat next to her. "I'm sorry but you're just not that good enough for me Nathan Montgomery." She added.

Nate kissed her cheek with a grin. "I love you too Amber Skyes."

I laughed at the cute scene in front of me.

"What's the joke?" Damien asked taking a seat next to me.

"Them." I said gesturing to Nate and Amber in front of me. "They're adorable."

"What you call adorable I call vomit worthy." Damien said then added to Amber and Nate who were romantically gazing at each other. "Seriously you guys, get a room or something. I'm trying to eat."

Nate and Amber blinked and turned their attention back to us. Nate flung a French fry at Damien. "Stop being such a hypocrite, when you eventually get a girlfriend who you love, you'll understand. So for now just shut up!"

Damien scowled at him when Amber asked with a grin. "So why are you still single Damien? Are you trying to tell us something here? Because if you are then don't be so shy, we accept you no matter what your sexual preference."

I supressed a laugh when a shade of pink tinted Damien's cheeks. "You're not funny Amber." He said sourly.

I shrugged and smiled. "I thought it was."

"Agreed." Nate laughed.

"Ha ha, look at you bunch of idiots trying to be cute and funny." Damien said with a straight face.

This time all three of us burst into laughter, Damien's expression was priceless. It was times like this I loved; I knew I had my three friends who could always take my mind off things and help me put aside negative thoughts - thoughts about Mason and our lost friendship and thoughts about my illness. I could feel normal with them.

I rested my arm on Damien's shoulder and inched closer to him. "So." I drawled and looked at him amused. "Any guy you find hot? Maybe we can hook you guys up for a date or something." I said and bit onto the inside of my cheeks to prevent my threatening laughter.

"Yes!" Amber cheered excitedly. "You could double date with Nate and me!"

Damien scowled at all three of us and shrugged my arm off his shoulder. "I am not gay!" he said each word through his teeth.

I looked at him innocently. "Why?" I drawled. "Do you have something against them?" I asked with a raised brow.

Another shade of pink tinted Damien's face. "N-no, I don't. I love gays, lesbians and bisexuals."

I raised both my brows at him. "Really now?"

"Really... wait." He trailed off. "It's not what you're thinking-" he began.