Episode 25: Mizuki's Master

Start from the beginning

Mizuki stood in front of her, and as it dawned on Akuma that Mizuki had attacked him, she only became more angry with her. How could she hurt an innocent man for no reason? He had been on her side - what was wrong with her?!

"Akuma, run out of the castle," Mizuki commanded under her breath. 

"Wha -" Akuma began, but her anger stopped her. "No."

"Do it, Akuma. We don't have much time," Mizuki pleaded quietly.

"How am I supposed to trust you after everything?"

"I'll apologize later. Just go. Don't worry about anything else and pretend to run for your life."

Akuma, seeing no other options, nodded slightly and ran. She ran through the door, down the steps outside, through the grass and into the trees. Was this far enough? Mizuki hadn't followed her, had she? Was this a trick? She should have known . . .

"Akuma." Mizuki's voice came from behind her, barely more than a breath.

"What? I don't know what's happening," Akuma said, frustrated.

"I don't expect you to trust me," Mizuki started. 

"Of course I don't!" Akuma exclaimed. "You come to the castle - in what, a disguise? You -"

"My task was to kill you and the rest of your team," Mizuki explained calmly.

"And then you offer to come along -"

"Because I needed to watch you."

"And then you try to kill me!"

"I had to."

"You say that," Akuma replied somewhat hysterically, "as if you really had no choice."

"I've been loyal to my master for a long time."

"I gathered, thanks."

"Akuma!" Mizuki interjected, grabbing Akuma's shoulders. "There isn't much time. I'll tell you everything you want to know later. But for now, just let me talk."

Akuma huffed, but was silent.

"Katsuo - that is, my master - is currently trapped inside a necklace."

Akuma snickered.

"I know, it's hilarious," Mizuki agreed quickly without any sense of hilarity. "His Domain still exists, because he isn't slain. That also means that his guardians will instantly revive themselves. But, he can't tell what happens inside his Domain."

"So?" Akuma asked.

"So, he's at his weakest right now. You should use this time to find anything you need, and discover anything you need to know."

"And what happens when he escapes?"

"When he escapes . . . I will most likely die."

"What?!"

"He knows I sealed him inside the necklace. When he comes out, he'll want revenge. The rest is easy," Mizuki explained, still calmly. "So. I'm going to act as a decoy, and while he focuses his attention on me, you slay him."

"Can't he just call in more members of the Order?" Akuma asked.

Mizuki smiled sadly. "No."

"Why not?"

"I am the only member."

"But I thought -"

" - there were more? Yes, you'd think that. But I'm the only one."