Chapter 20

20

Song of the Chapter: Demons by Imagine Dragons❤

He had been at work for a while. He had left instantly after the paint fight...after the kiss...Zayn wondered if he and Anna would become more than 'protector and protected'...he wanted her to himself. He wanted Anna to be his girl.

"Mr. Malik!" Zayn's attention was caught by the leader of the Obscure.

"Why in the world are you covered in paint?" He asked, teeth gritted.

"I painted my house today." Was Zayn's blunt reply. He obviously wasnt going to tell them he had a paint fight with a beautiful girl, a girl he just realized he loved. Pretty much everyone gave Zayn a weird look.

"Painting?" One of them remarked scornfully. Zayn just nodded.

"Well. That's nice. Back to business, lads. Tonight, we'll be patrolling the streets for any passerby. We have to track down a girl. A couple of our scouts have seen her. Bright red hair, innocent smile...we need to find her."

Zayn's breath caught in his throat, though he tried to show it. They were obviously talking about Anna. Who had seen her? When? Was she sneaking out of the house? That thought made Zayn clench his fists tightly.

He had told Anna to stay inside, always. He had DEMANDED she stay inside. Yet, she obviously hadn't. Zayn's fury built up inside him like a brick wall.

That night, he ran home instead of searching with the other Obscure. They wouldn't miss him.

'Anna, however, would miss me...' He thought, but quickly pushed the idea away with scorn.

It didnt matter. Anna was not supposed to leave the house. He had rules for reasons, and now all she had done was get her into a huge mess.

He needed to deal with her, right away. His expression was dark as he opened his front door, looking t the newly painted walls.

Anna had cleaned up the house of the clear protective tarp, and Zayn almost felt compelled to thank her, but then he remembered his job. He was supposed to hunt for her...but instead, he was protecting her. How could he protect her if she slipped away without his knowledge?

"Anna!" He yelled, his tone firm and emotionless. A tone he had sworn to himself he wouldn't take with Anna again.

Anna's face peered around the corner, a beautiful smile spread on her lips. She grinned excitedly and ran towards Zayn, and Zayn knew he was about to receive a kiss.

He was about to swing her into his arms like the sweet gentleman he was for her...kiss her until he lacked air...but he told himself firmly not to. Instead, he gave Anna sure a cold, heartless look that the redheaded girl slowed down considerably.

"Zayn? Are you okay?" She asked timidly.

"You weren't supposed to leave the house." Zayn said, his eyes refusing to look at her.

"What?" Anna blinked, confused.

"YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO LEAVE THE FUCKING HOUSE, ANNA." Zayn shouted. Anna cowered away, her eyes wide with fear.

"I told you, specifically not to, but you still did!" Zayn yelled, his anger building so much it clouded his vision.

"I can't have you defy me like that. The Obscure saw you, their coming after you! I only had that rule, Anna!" He cried in frustration, punching the newly painted wall in pure anger.

Anna was terrified.

What had happened to the Zayn she had fallen for? What had happened to the sweet boy who had a paint fight with her only hours earlier.

Where was the boy...where was the man that Anna had fallen in love with? Because she had fallen in love with Zayn, she had...just not this Zayn.

The fury in his eyes frightened her terribly. And worse, he had no reason to be angry.

Anna had never left the house.