Ch.18

Jewel POV:
It's been a few days since we started this trip, about 6 now.
We were just about to past through Kanora, we would rest there for a a day and get more supplies.
The journey was long and so tiring, when I was still young my family would go on this trip every year once or twice.
We would take our old van, however it would only take us around 4 1/2 hours.
That was something I wish we had now.
But seeing the wilderness up front and personal was even better than just driving by it, so far we've seen a few deer and a eagle.
I loved keeping track of different animals we would see as we drove by, but it was much easier to do that as we walked, I wrote each time in a journal.
However I've also been seeing movement in the treetops, not birds but something else.
Maybe weasel, marten, fishers I wasn't sure.
It looked bigger then anything I knew about that lived in trees, maybe I new species.
This has opened up more room for animals to grow, since humanity is gone.
Maybe? I hope so, I loved animals as I kid and still to this day I do.
I also wanted to work with them as a job when I was older, but I'm still happy with now at least I'm not alone.
We continued walking we were about 30 miles to go until we got there, and the sun reached the middle of the sky.
I looked over to my right seeing a huge lake, my family would sometimes stop here to fish.
I remember this one time my sister found this huge leech, I picked it up with a stick and chased her with it.
(Ps this is actually a true story- wolfgurl)
I laughed in my head thinking of that time.
" hey" I called out.
Everyone looked up at me.
" huh everything ok" Ben asked.
" yeah I was just wondering if you all wanna stop here and try fishing?" I asked.
" sure sounds like fun" paisley said.
Ben nodded, as he petted Lexi.
I'm glad he's getting closer to her.
John didn't look as excited, I was going to say something but then everyone started running down the trail towards the lake.
I ran after them quickly.
*
*
*
I loved looking over the lake, it reminded me of the summers my family would trail up here.
I cased my line is the water, I packed a fishing rod for everyone.
I was at the end of the dock with John and paisley.
Ben and Lexi were playing on the shore, Lexi was trying to chase down small fish around the shore.
Ben was just splashing around with her.
I laughed.
" having fun" I asked.
Ben nodded before Lexi ran past him knocking him over.
He fell in and got completely wet, Lexi ran over and licked his face as to say sorry.
He laughed it off and petted her.
Me, paisley and John laughed too.
" since I wet anywhere I'm going for a swim" Ben said.
He ran on the dock and jumped off the end.
" careful Ben you not get caught on our fishing lines" paisley said.
" ok I'll swim over here then" he said swimming to the opposite side.
" thank you" paisley said.
I laughed, they remind me of my sisters.
I looked over at John he didn't seen as happy as the rest of us.
I suddenly felt my line pull, snapping me out of my thoughts.
" oh, oh you caught one" paisley yelled.
" I'm going to swim farther now" Ben said.
I started reeling in my line, I pulled back making sure the hook was securely in the fish's mouth.
" come on Jewel" paisley yelled.
I pulled as hard as I could, reeling in the line.
The fish jumped out of the water, making John get a bit wet.
It was huge, a huge northern.
I hadn't caught a northern before.
Only jack fish and walleye.
I pulled with every muscle I had.
I stumbled forwards a bit trying to keep my balance.
Paisley helped me by grabbing on to the handle with me and pulled back.
Lexi started swimming out to the end of the dock.
The fish was at the surface finally, it started thrashing around with the little space it still had with the line.
Lexi swam straight at it, chasing it around in the water.
She tried to biting at it, but everytime she missed.
I pulled it up on the dock with the help of paisley.
" that was exhausting" I said looking down at the huge northern.
Lexi suddenly came running up the dock from behind, she grabbed the fish and raced off with it. The hook ripped out of its mouth as she ran, the fish rob still being in me and paisleys hands.
" Lexi wait, at least let me Measure it first" I yelled as she ran up the trail.
Paisleys rob suddenly started moving.
" paisley you got a bite" John yelled.
" oh shit" paisley yelled letting go of mine and racing towards hers.
" John Coke with me to get Lexi" I yelled.
He quickly reeled up his line, we bolted down the path after Lexi.
Thx for reading next part soon!