It suddenly all made sense...

How Minho yelled at Newt when he was yelling at me and tried to calm me down. All those times Minho was simply there for me. How I held his hand and he didn't object one bit.

I pressed a kiss to his cheek and whispered, "Thank you, Minho."

I hugged him and he hugged me back.

Did Newt mean Minho when he said that he wanted me to love after he was past gone? Did he know about Minho's feelings?

Minho's pov:

I watched Newt kiss Y/n for the first time from across the glade. I didn't try and watch them or anything, it's just that I knew that Newt was like a lovesick puppy when it came to the girl.

He had completely taken a nose dive into a deep pool the day Y/n first came to the glade.

They were always together since day one, and it was clear that she felt the exact same way about him.

The smile that crossed her face after they kissed tore my heart to shreds, because I had strong feelings for her too.

And since they were never apart, I couldn't even try and tell her anything about how I felt.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy for my best friend and Y/n/n, but that didn't mean that my feelings for her ever died.

One day, after they had been dating for awhile Alby decided that Y/n would be a runner.

Being the selfish person I am, I didn't object. It meant more time for me to spend with her.

Newt was full force against Y/n being a runner. He didn't want the same thing that happened to him happen to his girlfriend.

She didn't understand why Newt wouldn't let her be a runner.

That was when we first started talking. Like really talking.

We had always chatted and I had always tried to talk to her, but this was the first time she came crawling to me.

"Minho?" She asked as she entered the runner's hut.

Shuck, she wasn't supposed to be in there. She wasn't even fully qualified as a runner yet. But did I tell her to get out? Shuck no!

"Oh, um, yeah Y/n/n?"
"'Y/n/n?'" She giggled, "I like it."
I felt my cheeks warm up, and I did everything in my power not to stare at her beautiful smile.

It was Newt's to stare at. Not mine.

"Um, what was it you needed?"
"Oh yeah," she sighed, "I was wondering if I could talk to you?"
"Aren't we right now?"
"Very funny. I meant if we could talk about Newt."

Oh shuck me.

"Yeah?" I couldn't say no to her. I just couldn't.
"He won't tell me how he got his limp."

I was immediately reminded of that dark day.

"You have to talk to him. I can't tell you."
"Why not? Why won't he tell me? I just want to understand why he doesn't want me to go out there!"
"I know." I mumbled, "Just talk to him."
"Fine," She grumbled, leaving, "thanks for the information." She sarcastically said.

Her sarcasm made be fall even deeper for her.

I was organizing all the charts, trying to see if there was any pattern at all when she came rushing back in.

"Minho!" Her voice cracked and it made me sad, knowing that she was sad, "He told me."

I nodded and she hugged me. I awkwardly hugged her back and she broke away, like she couldn't stay still.

She frantically paced all around the room and rambled on and on about how she still wanted to go out in the maze and how she was a terrible person for it.

"No, Y/n. You're not a terrible person."

She looked at me with teary eyes and asked, "Really?"
"Of course not." I rolled my eyes. She was an amazing person.

She sniffled and thanked me again.

"Don't mention it."

She ran off to go find Newt and I realized that she was a really fast runner. She would be perfect for the job.

Later on that night I found myself talking to Newt about what had happened.

"I'm scared she'll get hurt, Minho." Newt looked at me.
"If she ran with me, I promise I'd never let that happen."
"Really?" He looked at me, not fully believing it.
"I's put her own life before mine. Besides, there won't be any grievers."
He silently nodded.
"She loves you more than anything." I said, "You're lucky to have her."

He looked at me suspiciously,
"You're in love with my girlfriend."
"What? No I'm not."
"Yes you are." He paused then said, "Minho, if I die, can you make sure to always be there for her? She really trusts you, and I trust you. I need to know that she'll always be happy."
"Shank! You're not going to die!"
"Please, just promise me."
"That's ridiculous, why would I when-"
"Just do it. I need to know she'll always be okay."
"Fine. I promise. And I would've made sure that she was always okay no matter what."

He sighed in relief and thanked me.

Soon Y/n and I ran the maze together. Newt knew that running out there gave her a good purpose and that she loved running almost as much as I did.

Newt was such a good person.

***

And as I sat down next to Y/n/n in paradise I knew that after I told her, nothing would be the same.

Before I knew it, the words 'I love you' tumbled out of my mouth and she was staring at me with those big eyes of hers. I rambled on and on and was in complete shock when she planted a kiss right on my cheek.

It didn't feel right. Because of Newt...

In my heart I knew he was gone, but I couldn't bring myself to actually fully believe it. It always felt like he would turn around the corner and call me a shank, or I would enter a room and find the two of them kissing. But that wouldn't happen anymore.

And it was absolutely terrible, because I knew it was breaking Y/n's heart. If her heart was breaking, then my heart was breaking. And in the first place, my heart was thrown away because my best friend was dead.

He was dead.

And there was nothing either of us could do about it except hold each other's hands and walk back to the main building to eat some breakfast.

All we could do was live, trying to be happy, because that's what he would want of us.

Argh that was so sad!!!!! And that was a long imagine lol.

And I tried out including Minho in this. He turned out to be a big piece in this imagine, and I like how it turned out, despite the sadness😭

Let's just take a second and have a moment of silence for the beloved Newt.

He is such an amazing character.

-anneequah