Chapter 22: Cool kids

Days became weeks, weeks became months and my popularity and drug habits only increased during this time. Time seemed to mash together and I was so deep in Bens group that I didn't think there was any chance of getting out. My anxiety was decreasing but I was becoming more irritable due to my new found habits. 

"Hey babe," Dan said and kissed me. I smiled at him and he held out his hand as we entered the college building. Ever since that kiss, Dan and I have become inseparable. I wished I could tell him about what happens at the parties but I'm always inconspicuous and make it seem like the parties are nothing much, I'm pretty sure he's suspicious but he's never said anything. 
"Ready for another fun day?" 
"Always," I sighed and rolled my eyes. College is slowly making me more and more tired, I'm not sure I can juggle all this crap I have to deal with. 
"Cheer up!" Dan  encouraged. "I'm the one wearing black, you're all colourful so act it."
"Jeez alrighty Dan, I'll try." I chuckled and we continued to our lesson. It was film. 

"Guys!" Louise hopped into her seat and I jumped so hard I accidently let go of Dans hand, I smiled apologetically as he just laughed at me. "So, I'm free this Saturday and we need to get our coursework done for two weeks time. Should we set it up for then?" 
"Yeah sure," Dan smiled. I had a party on the Saturday but I was sure I could do both, I couldn't really skip this work so I just nodded. 
"Don't you have a party?" Louise asked, by now she was used to me ditching on plans to go out. 
"Yeah, but I can still do the coursework," I told her. 
"Oh... okay... good, good." She looked towards the front of the class. 
"You have a party on Saturday too?" Dan whispered as L began to talk, he seemed a little upset that I hadn't told him. "But you have one tonight? Isn't this getting a little too much, I thought they were boring?" 
"Well, they are but I- they're my friends." Dan looked at me skeptically.  
"How about I go too?" Dan questioned. I tried not to give anything away, he would hate it if he knew what actually happened. I bet he thinks up the worst scenarios but if he found out I was actually doing illegal substances he would probably hate me. I could never allow him to see me like that. 
"No," was all I said.
"But-"
"It's not your thing," I continued and looked away from Dan, giving him the cold shoulder. If I behaved like this then maybe he would just stop asking.
Maybe I was getting too wrapped up in these parties but they're the only thing that give me some form of escape. 

~

I awoke the next morning feeling a little hung over and tired. I was already late for college but had only missed the first lesson so wasn't too fussed. I rubbed my head and started getting ready. My eyes still felt sore as I sat in my Psychology lesson with Ben, Justine, Jack and Finn. They were all chatting and I was joining in as usual. 
"I really wanna make some pot brownies," Ben told us that morning. 
"I really want to make any type of brownies," I replied.
"Same," The gang commented in unison. 
"Hey Phil, you should sit with us today? You're cool enough for our squad table." 
"Really?" what about Dan? And Chris and PJ? I usually sit with them, I can't just abandon them... can I? 
"Yeah man!" Ben enthused and waited for my answer. 
"Sure, where we sitting?" 

Dan was waiting outside my lesson like always. Before I could even speak to him, Ben pulled me in the opposite direction. I opened my mouth to say something but soon was swept away by the crowd of students.  

Dan caught up to me when we got to the cafeteria.
"What the hell Phil?" He semi-yelled at me. 
"Dan I-"
"Leave him be Daniel!" Ben cut in and yelled back at Dan. 
"Excuse you! You can't just whisk my boyfriend off like that."
"If he wanted to talk to you he would, you're having fun here. Aren't you Phil?" Both Dan and Ben were staring at me now, if I said yes Dan would be so upset with me but if I said no Ben would stop me from going to any more parties. 
"Yes, I am." I finally spoke, looking down at the table to avoid Dan's disappointed look. 
"Well... okay," Dan said, his voice cracked. "Seeya around." His footsteps were masked by the sound of students talking, I was glad. If I could hear him walking away I might've broken down.
"You don't need him." Ben tapped me on the shoulder and made me look at him. "You're with the cool kids now."